MikroTik App

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Show your best uptime :)

Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:57 am

RB1036 ROS6.48.3 485 days so far for a "big boy" at main office
hAP ac lite 6.47.10 477 days ... not bad for such "little one" installed on a construction site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Show your best uptime :)

Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:01 am

:roll: :roll:
Uptimez.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:22 pm

It's not a good thing to boast a high uptime
(ignoring the time bug that resets uptime after 4xx days, I can't remember the exact number, and I not remember if it is fixed or not).
The hardware, even if perfectly functional, needs maintenance and checking,
for example the RB1036 probably has swollen capacitors on the psu that need to be changed...
At first reboot, for some reason, the RB do not start on that case...
Another thing is carelessness in following software updates, which often have vulnerability patches.
Leaving an old version of RouterOS only makes you hope that the firewall is always well configured and that there are no exploits around...

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:29 pm

"Show your old, unmaintained RouterOS here".

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 am

Yes, I know, I know ... maintanance, new versions nightmare, replacjing capacitors in the 2 years old device ... so called "must have tasks".... "let him cast the first spell/upgrade" .. do always everyone upgrade crucial devices?

What about ... "if it's not broken, DO NOT REPAIR!!"?
What newer version of ROS has common to manually crafted firewall's rules?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:03 am

do always everyone upgrade crucial devices?
Who can answer for everyone?
I keep replace devices on regular basis, check the removed device, and after clean, check, repair (if needed) and netinstall,
I use it to replace another device and so on...
(Obviously the devices are identical...)

I still keep same version of RouterOS on all devices, at the moment the 6.48.6 long-term, after months of testing and reading on forum.
Just exactly two exception because I'm forced to use 7.6 on that devices.
I never use the last version, there must really be something critical and unblockable by the classic users and firewall security rules
to force me to put a version that hasn't been known for semesters already...

I do not understand this question

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:21 am

"Show your old, unmaintained RouterOS here".
i agree with you, only exception is 6.48.6 for those who still do not want to go to v7 until long term v7 arrives and is proven/tested

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:52 am

Starting from the last
I do not understand this question
Leaving an old version of RouterOS only makes you hope that the firewall is always well configured and that there are no exploits around...
You implied that firewall configuration depends on ROS version. And yes ... exploits are always possible despite installed version. If you have properly closed ecosystem then you have to assume that you are safe. Otherwise you will be eaten by the "safety neurosis".
It's not a good thing to boast a high uptime
do always everyone upgrade crucial devices?
Who can answer for everyone?
I keep replace devices on regular basis, check the removed device, and after clean, check, repair (if needed) and netinstall, I use it to replace another device and so on...(Obviously the devices are identical...)
Noone can answer in the name of everyone but you stated in the name of everyone that "high time is bad". I could argue that switchong on/off is the worst moment for any electronic device as voltage spikes could blow up elements despite their age.
I still keep same version of RouterOS on all devices, at the moment the 6.48.6 long-term, after months of testing and reading on forum. Just exactly two exception because I'm forced to use 7.6 on that devices.
I never use the last version, there must really be something critical and unblockable by the classic users and firewall security rules to force me to put a version that hasn't been known for semesters already...
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" argument :) :) I would say "Striving to better, oft we mar what's well."

We can keep arguing for months.
There are a lot of examples where devices are not replaced/upgraded for years, well configured and they do work. There are a lot of examples when just unboxed devices do fail or bad configuration opens them to the attack.
There always should be a balance in life :)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:39 pm

[...] you stated in the name of everyone that "high time is bad" [...]
For be precise: «It's not a good thing to boast a high uptime»
Everyone write about own experiences, but if you put "everyone" in question the answer can't exist...

I still agree with what you wrote, but I MUST clarify that I HATE the craze/rush to the latest update (barring the reasons mentioned above).
I wanted to place an important note about hardware maintenance, which is CRUCIAL, yes, for everyone in this case…
Obviously there is a difference between an access point inside the house and a Core Router that serves 2000 users...

About the device that won't restart... Better to find out in a planned way than by surprise... again this time it can apply to everyone...

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:54 pm

Is this allowed then ? :lol:
(hap AP for a store, AC3 acting as AP a bit further in the shop but that one runs on 7.5)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:29 pm

Obviously there is a difference between an access point inside the house and a Core Router that serves 2000 users...
About the device that won't restart... Better to find out in a planned way than by surprise... again this time it can apply to everyone...
Absolutely .. so is it time for pizza and good drink? Let our routers do more traffic :) :)

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:17 pm

For be precise: «It's not a good thing to boast a high uptime»
Agree with you. But came across this one today - 285d using v7.1.5. At least one datapoint on V7 stability...