Community discussions

MikroTik App

Darnedifido
just joined
Topic Author

hEX uncooperative

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:35 pm

I bought an RB750 Gr3 "hEX" in April, and has been in service since then.
Unit has been updated to ROS 7.6, and has been functioning fairly well, until now.
I have been getting intermittent drops, usually recovered after 10 minutes or so.
Last night it went down and I could not get it up again, so switched to an old netgear. Still took some time to get it connected, but got that one going.
hEX when rebooted has always beeped once and gone to work. Now it beeps once then activity lights go out, then beeps twice more and doesn't connect to cable modem.
When it "double beeps, the USR light also flashes twice in sync with the beeps. I can reboot into standard config, but retains OS7.6. I can get into it with Winbox.
Just does not seem to be getting DHCP from modem, but old Netgear does. I tried to Netinstall fresh but it does not connect, no matter how long I keep holding that reset button...
So, does anyone know the beep codes, and what they mean? Nothing found in Docs...
Thanks!

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hEX uncooperative

Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:14 pm

I have not seen any reference to beep code meanings, as they have pulled the speaker out of all the new models. I would start by backing up the configuration, then doing a NetInstall to get it all loaded back to factory. Sometimes this fixes things. Another thing you can do is try to move it to another interface. Surges can blow chokes, resistors, and other components that would cause it not to work.

Darnedifido
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:45 pm

I tried to run a Netistall, cannot get it to recognize the router. Worked when I went to ROS 7, but cannot get it working now. Spent all night trying!

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Net install can be frustrating software. I suggest disabling EVERY OTHER NETWORK INTERFACE on your computer and making sure you have the router plugged in to the interface labeled boot. Most likely Ether1. Power on the router with the connection physically made, then start the program with either sudo for Linux or admin rights on windows, so it attaches to the correct interface. Then power off the router and hold down the reset button and keep holding while plugging in and keep holding it until you see it populate in the net install.

Frustrating software, but what it is essentially doing is creating a bootp server on your desktop that the router boots from. Very suspectable to noise, so I wouldn't even have a network switch between the two devices. I have had much better luck on Linux than windows with it.

Darnedifido
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:00 pm

None of the ports is labeled as boot. #1 is labeled "internet" and "poe", others collectively labeled as "Lan". Tried all 5. Connected with my shortest (1m?) patch cable direct to laptop.
I still would like to know the significance of the "double beep/double USR flash" thing, as I never saw that happen when booting previously.
If any Mikrotik personnel are reading, I have not been able to use customer service portal, so if you could take a shot...? I cannot go back to a distributor for help, as I bought from an Amazon seller, who I cannot track down from my records, and was the only option I could find with stock at the time. Paid the list price, listed as a new item...

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:01 am

I bought from an Amazon seller, who I cannot track down from my records, and was the only option I could find with stock at the time. Paid the list price, listed as a new item...
Log into Amazon, click on Returns and Orders, you should be able to find your order, then click on either "View order details" or "View invoice", as they both have the seller listed, as well as the "condition". Here's what https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/rb750gl-ug_130543.pdf says: "1. If you have purchased your product from a MikroTik Reseller, please contact the Reseller company regarding all warranty and repair issues"

That doesn't mean that you won't get help from MikroTik as far as answering questions, but if they think it is hardware related, you probably will have to take it up with whoever you bought it from.