Community discussions

MikroTik App

BCRich
just joined
Topic Author

CRS112 Router Throughout Issue

Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi, New to MikroTik and this Forum. I have a CRS112 Cloud Router, it is configured as a Router/Switch. All ports are Bridged. I have Internet access but seem to have a bandwidth configuration issue. The Ports are showing as gigabit ports and my ISP (Optimum/Altice) provider speed is 300MB for Download. However any type of speed test be it hardwired or via my eero access point maxes out in the low 30’s. I am unsure if this is a Firmware or a configuration issue. I am pretty sure this was not an issue previously. I actually have a second Router on hand and am having the same problem. It is not my Modem as if I configure my eero as a Router I get the maximum throughput that is available. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Appreciate in advance any help.
Thanks…..Mike
On a side note this network is strictly for a Music Server and related devices. I have a separate network for everything else, computers, HVAC, Security etc.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CRS112 Router Throughout Issue

Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:54 pm

The crs112 is a switch with very basic routing capacity.

https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS112-8G- ... estresults

Depending on your config ~30Mbps is probably to be expected.

The device only has a 400MHz Mips cpu, so it won't be able to do much on the routing side.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Yes, like the above poster says, it is a switch and should be configured accordingly to provide wire speed. Post your config maybe?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:02 pm

To be fair to the OP, there is no way in hell this should have anything called router in the description,

Cloud Router Switch 112-8G-4S-IN is a “small size low cost” member of our CRS series. It comes with eight Gigabit Ethernet ports and four SFP cages.
Our CRS series combines the best features of a fully functional router and a Layer 3 switch, is powered by the familiar RouterOS.

Normis and CO should be ashamed of themselves for horrible marketing BS!!

On the other hand, little sympathy for someone who makes a purchase without doing the basics of homework!!
Lets see where this product is found and lets look at the specs.............. NUFF SAID.
homework.jpg
specs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toolongformt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:24 pm

so is it a ROUTER or is it a SWITCH??
Even a cisco asa 5506x is able to shoot heavy loads through such a small case.
Please Mikrotik, make a decision! Either CRS and it delivers enough performance, or call it a switch, then supply it with SwitchOS and noone can blame someone.
I am more than disappointed that this thing is not even able to deliver 10 mbit/s without vlan and fw rules, while it uses 100% cpu load!

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 am

Well, it's a switch. As you can see in the in the post above, and it's listed as a switch on mikrotik's official web site.

There is no need to supply it with swOS as you can use it as a managed switch with Router OS. I have several devices that I use like that, for eg. L009 and few of hexS.

If you need great performance then you need to chech CCR lineup of devices.

toolongformt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:43 am

and why is it then called router, when this stuff is going to sleep as soon as it gets 2 ip addresses…?

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 am

For that you should ask Mikrotik, but this device is clearly in switch section and performance is clearly stated here.

I mean if you look at CPU used here you can see that that device is not meant to be used as router but as a switch.

I don't think Mikrotik is to blame because you didn't do your research before buying the device. It happens, if you can, return it and replace with an actual router.