MikroTik App

tesme33
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CRS wish

Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi
more and more PC Motherboards and devices are appearing with 2.5GBit Ethernet devices.
Up to now i have not seen a replacement for CRS326-24G-2S+RM which would give us this speed.
I know this is not the 10G, 25G or 40G device which will bring a lot of attention but it would bring the masses.

Having a fanless device is key when you are in an office environment and here i believe 10G is still far away from allowing a fanless design.
The files creatives have to handle get larger and larger, so this simple upgrade would give them 2.5 more speed.
As PowerConsumption is in our days key it will be easier to convince the management to buy switches with 20W and not with 60W.
Fanless also means longer lifetime. Which will please the budget controler. I know potentially not Mikrotik ...
Most of the current infra doesnt need any HW upgrade if you go to 2.5G. Which means no recabeling etc.

Now my question would be is something like this on the horizont ?

hyppen
just joined

Re: CRS wish

Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Butting in - I'd love the exact opposite. Not a CRS or even RB, but a bare-bones hEX or hAP.

There's plenty of enterprise devices with rows and rows of ports, fans, various interface types and product variants, to connect servers, backbones, breakout switches and what not. But what i'd really need at home is just a handful of 2.5G ports to economically tie together few devices, that really utilize the 2.5G - NAS, production desktop, main AP. Otherwise it's feasible only for businesses or networking enthusiasts where the bigger port counts, industrial form factors and price tags can be justified.