Community discussions

MikroTik App

SuperMario99
just joined
Topic Author

PowerBox RB750Pr2

Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:00 am

Hi all,
I bought the powerbox and put it up on tower with length of around 40m long to server room. the Lan cable is Belden cat5. The LAN cable plugged in to port 1 which has label "Poe-in" to power up the powerbox. Then I plugged in the "data cable" to my laptop and tried to remote the powerbox but nothing shows up in Winbox, i couldn't even ping the default IP for Powerbox, which is 192.168.88.1. But if I plug in another LAN cable on port 2, I can remote it. Do I need two cables seperated for data and power for this to work?
I'm planning to plug in 2 Sxts to the powerbox.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: PowerBox RB750Pr2

Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:31 am

Hi,

I see you have a response on reddit from meritez:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comme ... th_2_sxts/

I would advise the same as what they have replied.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm

To put it more directly: you must reset your PowerBox to no configuration and then use WinBox to connect and perform basic configuration. Which includes:
  1. set a quality password for administrator's account
  2. create a bridge
  3. add all ether interfaces as bridge ports ... one by one (not by selecting "all")
  4. configure IP on bridge interface for management access ... either by setting IP address (don't forget to include subnet mask, e.g. 192.168.88.42/24) or by running DHCP client bound to bridge interface
  5. optionally any other necessary settings, such as adding default route (in case of static IP address assignment), adding NTP client settings, etc.
  6. ... and refrain from using QuickSet part of any UI at all times, it'll mess with your settings

After that, ether1 will be just the same as the rest of ports from network point of view (and management access as well).

BTW, if your cable is indeed Cat5 (without 'e' at the end, i.e. Cat5e), then it's only good for 100Mbps (might support 1Gbps on short distances, not on half of specced range) ... check any of numerous articleas about different UTP cable categories, e.g. this one.

[edit] Cat5 cable should be fine, PowerBox is 100Mbps only in any case

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Another thought: with 40m of cable and considerable power consumption on the tower, voltage drop on cable might be fairly high. Be prepared for weird functioning of any of connected devices if total power draw exceeds 2A (rating of provided PoE injector) or even 2.5A (rating of supplied power adapter).
Probability of it happening depends on actual power consumption of connected devices (there are numerous SXT models with different power requirements).