MikroTik App

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe in a box :)

Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:38 am

I just want to share my success to put CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe in a box
As general I use PCIE Riser Card (thanks to bitcoin miners :) ) and 12V 42W adapter.

note: Riser card is used only for power via PCIe

So far (almost 30 days uptime with some restarts not related to hardware issues ;) )
I did not notice any hardware issues , I do not want to advertise any parts used for this build however if some one need info I will provide it :)

Now the important think, do I need CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe as dedicated router ... I will say no, I do that only from enthusiasm reasons.
I use rb5009 and for my use case is perfectly fine ! but still since I have couple of IPSECs I thinking in some point to replace rb5009 with PCI ccr2004 but .. I do not have huge bandwidth to have advantage of it (or test in in real life scenario)

I think is cool .. so cheers and Merry Christmas !

not sure why I not able to provide pics(google drive) will try latter /something wrong with my pc of forum .. will update the post with photos for now I hope share google drive to work/

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dakobg on Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe in a box :)

Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:40 am

thanks for sharing

i have a doubt

in system -> routerboard -> settings , you see some info about cpu clock?

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:13 am

This is a good question
I do not see any cpu clock info ?!
[admin@MikroTik] > /system/resource/print 
                   uptime: 1w4d41m11s
                  version: 7.6 (stable)
               build-time: Oct/17/2022 10:55:40
         factory-software: 7.1.4
              free-memory: 3852.0MiB
             total-memory: 4032.0MiB
                      cpu: ARM64
                cpu-count: 4
                 cpu-load: 0%
           free-hdd-space: 105.9MiB
          total-hdd-space: 129.0MiB
  write-sect-since-reboot: 10300
         write-sect-total: 21217
               bad-blocks: 0%
        architecture-name: arm64
               board-name: CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe
                 platform: MikroTik

[admin@MikroTik] > /system/routerboard/settings/print 
              auto-upgrade: no
               boot-device: nand-if-fail-then-ethernet
             boot-protocol: bootp
       force-backup-booter: no
               silent-boot: no
      protected-routerboot: disabled
      reformat-hold-button: 20s
  reformat-hold-button-max: 10m

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:15 am

Nice boxed version.

Too bad the PCIe bus on CCR can't be flipped in software somehow (so CCR acts as host). Having 8 PCIe lanes for more interfaces or SSDs would be nice.

wick
just joined

Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:07 pm

Awesome post. This is exactly what I was planning to do with this card (if it ever becomes available for shipping... been on standing order for 6+ months....)

Thanks for the post and confirmation! (maybe PM me the riser/psu you used?)

Cheers, and happy holidays-

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 pm

Awesome post. This is exactly what I was planning to do with this card (if it ever becomes available for shipping... been on standing order for 6+ months....)

Thanks for the post and confirmation! (maybe PM me the riser/psu you used?)

Cheers, and happy holidays-
No sure how to send PM .. however this is the list

1. box
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B ... =UTF8&th=1
This box is aluminium I think is not necessary to be the same however don't forget to to
  • fix the CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe on front panel (I do that)
OR
  • isolate card or box from the not heat side , electronic component points are exposed and there is a a risk of electrical shortage !!
Main point here is, riser card is with pcie lock but this lock is for video card , so if you don't fix CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe somehow to the box there is a huge chance the ccr strar go out from the rise pcie slot during box move and be damaged phisical or by electrical short etc .. you get the point
2. pcie riser
I check couple of bitcoin miners forums for recommendation, look like they are china made none specific brand however you should watch for number of capacitors (related to power)
3. 6 pin pcie power cable
again taken as recommendation from bitcoin miners forums, I think this one is overkill for CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe since video cards have a bigger power consumption, it's work for me
btw the riser card have 6pin power cable in the box , however all bitcoin miners don't like them ! I think the included one will be fine for mk ccr pcie .. but from other side I don't want to risk :)
4. power adapter
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1
I choose this one by my self, so far no issues, main reason was 12v (pcie riser power ) and 45w , CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe by specs consume 29w
4. Fan (60mm, 12v) , fan grid and light diode, on/off switch, power jack , all are taken from local (BG) shop for electric components (I think total price was something like 10euro) , nothing special for them except that my fan is little noise , I will replace it in some point with noctua 60mm fan

For construction decisions , vents holes on front and on back 60mm fan blow hot air out of the box
For schematic nothing fancy, cut the pcie power cable from one side and connect it to power jack, on/off switch and light diode, also fan is to power jack and on/off switch (double on/off)

I hope this help , and again I don't advertise or recommend those components , they just work for my build and I do not have any issues with them .. however please make attention on pcie riser !
If your not sure for selected model just check google/youtube for reviews

Regards :)
Before someone ask why I say .. I don't advertise or recommend those components ... As general personally I do not trust blindly on similar forum posts ... I don't want someone to damage his CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe becasue don't have expiriance or full understanding what is doing .. CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe is my own and I take my own risk with it , I make this build from curosity :) , this card is not created for such usage ... I hope everyone undestand !!!!

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:08 am

thank you for sharing :idea: