Community discussions

MikroTik App

lazarmihail
just joined
Topic Author

CRS328-24P-4S to Cisco 3504 WLC

Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question for those that have tried to connect a Cisco wireless lan controller to a Mikrotik switch

In the Cisco world a wireless lan controller would connect to a distribution cisco switch in this way:
Int Gi0/1
switchport
channel-group 1 mode on 
no shut

Int Gi0/2
switchport
channel-group 1 mode on 
no shut

interface port-channel 1
switchport
switchport trunk encap dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 301 
switchport trunk allowed vlan all
switchport mode trunk
no shutdown
Now the question is how I can achieve the same setup but with a Mikrotik switch since I have the wireless lan controller connected, I have tried to create bonding, trunk ports, etc but none of them have been a success so far :(

The topology I have is the one attached to this message, let me know please if you had the same issues and how did you solve to connect a Cisco wireless lan controller to a RouterOS switch like CRS328, the one I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lazarmihail
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS328-24P-4S to Cisco 3504 WLC

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Thank you for the link https://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical ... tches.html, but as you have seen the port-channel must be ON on the Mikrotik side and I don't think that Mikrotik supports that since I haven't been able to find any documentation about it.

I will try tomorrow to disable LAG and have the WLC connected over a simple trunk port. I don't see any other solution, but it would be a pitty to have 4 links that can be aggregated but unusable because Mikrotik doesn't support port-channel mode ON.

AKAGHT
just joined

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:53 pm

port-channel mode is CISCO only Protocol, is like saying it is pity that I cannot use a catalyst 7500 chase, full of Cisco hardware because it does not know EOIP.

lazarmihail
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Nope, but I was under the impression that LACP mode ON is under the open source protocol 802.3ad but it seems like is not. Therefore, I'll give it a try with the WLC being configured without LAG and the SW with a trunk port and see if it works.