Community discussions

MikroTik App

dustojnikhummer
just joined
Topic Author

CHR image on HyperV - network interfaces?

Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:32 pm

I'm limited to using HyperV
I want to do some testing without risking actual hardware, so the 1Mbit limit doesn't matter to me
Created a Gen1 VM, used the premade CHR 7.6 image
Gave it two network interfaces: Internal (for two MT VMs to talk to each other) and bridged mode, so I can access it with Winbox
Booted, and there is only eth1 listed
Same when I try to add a third network interface.

Is there another way to add it? Or is one network interface limitation of the CHR "trial" VM?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CHR image on HyperV - network interfaces?

Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:00 pm

You can have multiple virtual Ethernet interfaces on a free CHR, so the issue must be something else.

Does the Hyper-V administration center currently show all three interfaces, but the CHR itself shows only one? Or have the ones you've added "disappeared" also in the Hyper-V administration center? Maybe there is some confirmation step you have missed? Another possibility is that there is an issue with interface detection in 7.6 - I have added my 7.x CHRs using an image much older than 7.6.

dustojnikhummer
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:50 pm

You can have multiple virtual Ethernet interfaces on a free CHR, so the issue must be something else.

Does the Hyper-V administration center currently show all three interfaces, but the CHR itself shows only one? Or have the ones you've added "disappeared" also in the Hyper-V administration center? Maybe there is some confirmation step you have missed? Another possibility is that there is an issue with interface detection in 7.6 - I have added my 7.x CHRs using an image much older than 7.6.
https://imgur.com/a/RFvQ4ne

Yep, only one interface exists. It seems to be connected to whatever is first in the HyperV VM settings. In this case it's the bridged adapter so I can get into it with Winbox, but second interface (that is connected to a Private adapter) and 3rd, disconnected one, are nowhere to be seen

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:46 pm

If so, try to use an older CHR image (7.2 or so) to create a new VM and add the NICs to it. If it succeeds that way, report a bug and upgrade the new CHR to 7.6. If it doesn't, I have no more ideas.

andkar

Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Hi,

Just did a quick test with ROS 7.6 VHDX 1st gen VM on server 2016.
Assigned 2 network cards and fired it up. Both interfaces showed up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dustojnikhummer
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Hi,

Just did a quick test with ROS 7.6 VHDX 1st gen VM on server 2016.
Assigned 2 network cards and fired it up. Both interfaces showed up.
Is that a Private network switch?

andkar

Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:09 pm

External HyperV switch.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 pm

You can move all of them to internal networks (even all three into the same one) for a test, but I don't think it is related. I can switch the interfaces between networks and it doesn't make them disappear from the CHRs.

I suppose you have already tried to add another CHR from scratch and add all three network interfaces before running it for the first time?

dustojnikhummer
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:17 pm

You can move all of them to internal networks (even all three into the same one) for a test, but I don't think it is related. I can switch the interfaces between networks and it doesn't make them disappear from the CHRs.

I suppose you have already tried to add another CHR from scratch and add all three network interfaces before running it for the first time?
Huh, I haven't tried that. I just have one image with two (three for testing) interfaces. That is a good point, they might appear when they are connected to another VM

dustojnikhummer
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 pm

Sadly that didn't work either. Maybe it's the prebuilt CHR image causing this?

https://i.imgur.com/xuvyUUH.png