Community discussions

MikroTik App

MahishTanzon
just joined
Topic Author

What is the process for upgrading a MikroTik CRS354 switch from RouterOS to SwOS, especially when the CRS354 is being us

Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:20 am

I was very interested in the MikroTik CRS354 switch as soon as I learned about it because I was familiar with MikroTik's environment and enjoyed using their home routers. When I finally got the switch, I discovered that it only ran RouterOS. Since then, SwOS 2.13 has been released and I would like to use it on my CRS354. I am currently using the CRS354 as my primary switch in a production environment. Does anyone have experience running SwOS on the MikroTik CRS354?

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: What is the process for upgrading a MikroTik CRS354 switch from RouterOS to SwOS, especially when the CRS354 is bein

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:10 pm

In Winbox I go to SYSTEM, then Routerboard, click on SETTINGS and choose SwOS in Boot OS.

Reboot the device

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is the process for upgrading a MikroTik CRS354 switch from RouterOS to SwOS, especially when the CRS354 is bein

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:03 pm

After SwOS boots, you'll have to configure device from scratch.

And IMO switch from ROS to SwOS is not upgrade (if you need to call it with an "*grade" word, downgrade would fit better because ROS allows some functionality that SwOS doesn't). If you master the device via ROS already, I hardly see a benefit in switching to SwOS.
Additionally, SwOS seems to be developed much less intensively than ROS. So if you hit a bug there, it's likely it will take much longer for MT to fix it.