Community discussions

MikroTik App

cptsmithers
just joined
Topic Author

l3 Offloading with VRF

Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:43 pm

I hope this is the right place for this. I am currently in the process of migrating a Cisco network that employed OSPF over several VRFs to deliver access to various resources throughout a small academic campus. Historically the architecture has been great and it seems that it can be translated to Mikrotik switches. We have proved this out using a CRS326-24S+2Q+. All is working as expected, OSPF, VRFs and all.

CPU utilization, is less than great, which brought me to l3-hw-offloading. This is where the trouble begins. I guess before we get deep in the weeds of troubleshooting, are there known issues when using l3-hw-offloading in conjunction with VRFs? Broadly speaking when enabled our main table continues to hum along, but any VRF-bound tables essentially are brought to a screeching halt and trying to ping pas the router into the OSPF area results in an expired TTL, which could indicate a number of things but only occurs when l3-hw-offloading is enabled.

I'm willing to post some sanitized configurations, but like I said everything works well until the feature is enabled.