Community discussions

MikroTik App

Snoopy888
just joined
Topic Author

RB962UiGS configuration issue or wireless driver issue?

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 am

I've been migrating from Mikrotik's RouterOS to OpenWrt recently, due to poor wifi performance of RouterOS firmware on two of my MikroTik RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT which I've bought second hand. One device is acting as a main AP with DHCP server ON (connected to ISP's modem thru WAN port). The other one is acting as "dumb AP" ,DHCP OFF, firewall OFF, bridged, connected to first router via LAN port. Wired connection on both devices were OK, no issue, but wireless gave me troubles. The both routers occasionally dropped wireless clients from the network without any valid reason, and often reduced wireless speed to bare minimum of 2-5 Kbits (on both 2,4 and 5Ghz range) so it appeared that you are connected to access point but you acctually haven't had no throughput,... and so on. I also have third Mikrotik routerboard RB951G-2HnD (running on 6.46.4 fw) with same wireless settings (on 2,4Ghz) and it works like a charm, but RB962 routers not. Reverting firmware from 7.6 to previous major version, 6.XX- didn't help at all (I've tried several 6.XX versions already).

So as a last resort - I've decided to give it a try and flash both routers with OpenWrt. And to my surprise- it worked! Wireless performance issue was gone for good, both routers running without a hassle for more than 10 days now, not a single drop in connection or any kind of interruption.

BUT, I have another problem now. I am not having a full control over connected clients on my network under OpenWrt like I had in RouterOS. I would like to revert back to Mikrotik firmware, but I don't know what is the reason for poor wifi performance under RouterOS. Does anybody with the same routerboard can confirm any issues that I had? Can it be only a configuration issue (I hope that it is) or wireless section on both devices are kind of worn-off somehow? But that doesn't explain how both devices run smoothly under OpenWrt firmware. Is there any particular version of RouterOS that I should flash onto this RB962 routerboards to make them running without a problems?