Community discussions

MikroTik App

merrimac79
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with CAPsMAN

Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am

Hello,

I've discovered MikroTik products one month ago and I've decided to configure my work network using them. So i bought one MikroTik router (RB5009UPr+S+) and 6 cAP ac xl managed through CAPsMAN. I can say that i love them :)
I've configured 3 wireless networks (one is the main network - second is for guests - the third is for a special software). The last two networks are tagged with different VLANs. All the settings for the channels and the band are configured in auto mode. In the provisioning tab i've configured the master configuration as the master configuration and the other two as the slave config.

Everything looks good but I saw that I have some problems with Iphones connecting to the main configuration, they are not connecting. Iphones are connecting very well at the other two networks.

Do you know what could be wrong?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problems with CAPsMAN

Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 pm

Currently... On my caps-man systems...

Iphones connect.

But every couple of days... All the iMacs refuse to connect. This can be 6 hours after a reboot... Or 3 days later. 15 other devices will work with no issue when this is happening.

The field tech went out and hardwired the iMacs yesterday.

So they don't disconnect anymore + now they don't rely on the old ACv1 drivers. Throughput on the computers jumped from the mid 90s to over 900Megs on speed tests and file transfers on the network are almost immediate now.

Figure out how to budget in an alternative Wireless Manufacturer as I am sure "something else" will pop up sooner or later.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Could be anything, but auto is never a good option...

Can you share /caps-man export?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:03 pm

And as you would expect from me...
The 3 cAP AC XLs onsite are configured as
2.4 as 1,6,11 20MHZ
5.0 As 36,149 with 2 of them in 149 where they can't hear each other... And at 80MHZ.

merrimac79
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:19 pm

/caps-man configuration
add country=romania datapath.bridge=bridge_Data .interface-list=LAN distance=\
indoors installation=indoor mode=ap name="Intern" rates.basic="" \
.supported="" security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk .encryption=aes-ccm \
ssid=Internal
add country=romania datapath.bridge=bridge_Data .interface-list=LAN .vlan-id=20 \
.vlan-mode=use-tag installation=indoor mode=ap name="Guest" \
security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk .encryption=aes-ccm ssid=\
add country=romania datapath.bridge=bridge_Data .interface-list=LAN .vlan-id=40 \
.vlan-mode=use-tag distance=indoors installation=indoor name=\
"Time" security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk .encryption=aes-ccm \
ssid=Time
/caps-man manager
set enabled=yes
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration="Intern" \
name-format=prefix-identity slave-configurations=\
"Guest,Time"

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:39 pm

Besides fixed channels, you can also read this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=177019

Summarized: check DHCP lease time and use 40MHz channelwidth on 5GHz and 20MHz on 2.4GHz radio.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:51 pm

Besides fixed channels, you can also read this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=177019

Summarized: check DHCP lease time and use 40MHz channelwidth on 5GHz and 20MHz on 2.4GHz radio.
Don't conflate.

Ca6ko

Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:24 am

mode=ap name="Intern" rates.basic="" \
.supported="" security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk
When I see such strings in the config I always give one most effective advice - reset to factory settings and set up manually again. This always helps.
In RouterOS, putting a checkmark and then removing it does not always return the device to its original state. So I have to reset to factory settings.
PS Of course you can try to fix the settings rates.

hamzaarif
just joined

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:58 pm

It sounds like you have set up your MikroTik devices and VLANs correctly and that the main wireless network is having trouble connecting with iPhones. There could be a few different things that could be causing this issue. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

Make sure that the main wireless network's SSID and password are correct and that the iPhone is able to connect to other wireless networks.

Check the wireless settings on the MikroTik router and ensure that they are configured correctly. This includes the frequency band, channel width, and transmit power.

Check the wireless security settings on the MikroTik router and ensure that they are compatible with the iPhone. For example, if you are using WPA2-Enterprise security, make sure that the iPhone is able to connect to networks using this type of security.

Make sure that there are no other devices or sources of interference that could be causing problems with the wireless connection.

Try restarting the MikroTik router and the iPhone to see if that resolves the issue.

If none of these steps help, try connecting to the main wireless network with a different device, such as a laptop or tablet, to see if the issue is specific to the iPhone or if it affects other devices as well.

I hope these suggestions help you troubleshoot the issue and get your iPhone connecting to the main wireless network successfully. If you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to gather more information about the issue and consider seeking additional help from the MikroTik support team or a professional networking technician.
Last edited by BartoszP on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: superfluous links