Community discussions

MikroTik App

fred974
Topic Author

Help understanding MLAG peer port

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:10 pm

Hi,

I currenlt have a pair of OPNSense firewall configured in HA. The firewall has 2 sfp+ ports. 1 is used for the WAN interface and the other asd LAN interface.
The overall network look like this:

At the moment, each firewall are only connected to one switches unlike the servers..

My experience is that with non Mikrotik switches, with the existing configuration, the servers are being told they can go to either switch to reach the default gateway, but the active firewall is only present on one of them, requiring traffic that hits the wrong switch to traverse an extra hop to the active firewall. Is this also true for Mikrotik switches in MLAG configuration? From what I understand from ready the MLAG configuration guide, is that the traffic is managed via the MLAG peer link and therefore shouldn't end up in the non active firewall. Is my understanding correct

If I don't change the existing wiring how much of a performance impact do I have when the traffic that hits the wrong switch has when it has to traverse an extra hop?
Do I need to setup some Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) between the 2 switches

Thank you all in advance

rmenkveld
just joined

Re: Help understanding MLAG peer port

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 am

Can you post the config of the 2 switches?

I had similar issues setting up MLAG. I had the idea that one switch was the "master" and the other the "slave". If you disconnected 1 interface from the master, the traffic stopped unless you also disconnected the 2nd interface from the master or turned off the entire swith, then the traffic was sent through the slave.

fred974
Topic Author

Re: Help understanding MLAG peer port

Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:12 pm

I only just seen your reply.. I have redo the config since the post. I now have 1 port to each switch