Community discussions

MikroTik App

MoeWang
just joined
Topic Author

Cannot Format USB Flash Drive

Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:30 pm

Hello guys,

I have a RB5009 RouterBoard running RouterOS 7.7 and a 32GB USB3.0 flash drive. In order to avoid frequent read and write operations on the router's built-in flash memory, I want to use this flash drive as an extended storage for RouterOS Docker. So I connected the flash drive to its USB port, and it appeared in Winbox's USB and System/Disks. So far, everything sounds good, right?

When I was ready to try formatting it, I received an error: "Couldn't start - device not available (6)" It tells me that the drive is currently unavailable. I find it strange, it works normally under Windows and Debian. Then I tried to reboot the entire router, but I still received the same error.

So I reconnected the flash drive to Windows and used DiskGenius (a disk partition software), and I found that the flash drive was in USB-FDD boot mode, I thought it was because of this mode, and then I changed it to USB-HDD (MBR) boot mode. Then I connected the router and restarted it again, and I still received the same error. Then I tried to delete all partitions on the flash drive, but it still didn't work.

I also referred to the Mikrotik Wiki command line and tried to unmount the device before formatting it. Unfortunately, the problem was not solved. My router was originally RouterOS 7.5, I upgraded to the latest version RouterOS 7.7, but the problem was still not solved.

I don't know the specific brand of the flash drive, it doesn't have a logo, but I know that the flash drive's main control chip is IS918.

Note: When I executed the Eject Drive command, the USB device did not disappear.

The following are the commands I tried in the system:
[admin@MikroTik] > disk print
Flags: E, F - FORMATTING
Columns: SLOT
#   SLOT
0 E usb1
#   SLOT
0 E usb1
[admin@MikroTik] > disk eject-drive 0
#   SLOT
0 E usb1
[admin@MikroTik] > disk format-drive 0 file-system=ext4 label=flashdrive
failure: device not available
[admin@MikroTik] > 
I'm not quite sure where this question should be posted, so I'm posting it in the general discussion section first, thank you.

drkk
just joined

Re: Cannot Format USB Flash Drive

Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Yes. I have this EXACT same situation. I just got my RB5009 to upgrade from my hEX, and I transfer the thumb drive over, and this is PRECISELY the problem I'm having. When I put it back in the hEX, it works fine.

Definitely something is wrong.

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:21 am

I have the same problem with hAP ax3, have you reported to support?
Thanks

EDIT: With 7.8rc1 it works perfectly

MoeWang
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:05 pm

Yes. I have this EXACT same situation. I just got my RB5009 to upgrade from my hEX, and I transfer the thumb drive over, and this is PRECISELY the problem I'm having. When I put it back in the hEX, it works fine.

Definitely something is wrong.
Yes, this may not be an isolated case. Additionally, I have found a new situation where, when I connect to 5009 first using Winbox, and then insert the flash drive that causes this problem, there is about an 80% chance that Winbox will disconnect. So, um... it may be a power supply issue? Anyway, at the moment of insertion, the routerboard seems to freeze for a second, and then the USB port is disabled (I suspect it enters some sort of protection mode). If I don't unplug it and restart, the USB port will remain unavailable unless I restart the routerboard. And the storage device remained visible in winbox, but couldn't be formatted or ejected, just as I mentioned at the beginning.

Then, I tried using tape or other means to shield the 5 contacts on my flash drive that are used for USB 3.0, and after inserting it into the 5009, I can see that the flash drive is recognized in 2.0 mode, but it disappears after a while and reappears under the 2.0 port, so I have reason to suspect that it's a power supply issue with the 5009 USB port, as the power consumption used in 2.0 mode is not very high and can barely be recognized; however, due to the high trigger current in 3.0 mode, it cannot be used and causes the routerboard to enter some sort of protection mode. The way to verify this is to test it with a USB 3.0 hub with an external power supply, but I haven't purchased one yet.

Lokamaya
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:36 pm

Sometime creating an empty folder or file inside the empty flashdrive would solve the problem. Or format the flashdrive in ext4 format.