Community discussions

MikroTik App

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

DNS does not resolve anything from outside the router

Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:57 am

Hey! I feel like I'm just missing something simple. I've had this set up before on a different router but now it just won't work.

I just need the router to act as a DNS Server to redirect any traffic from inside the network to our local server "server.our.local" to the internal IP Address 192.168.1.178 instead of it's public IP Address.

But any queries to it just time out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DNS does not resolve anything from outside the router

Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:17 pm

Your last NAT rule would redirect all DNS requests (if it was active, it's disabled in config export) from everywhere to internal router's DNS server ... but your last firewall filter blocks that:
/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=53 protocol=udp
/ip firewall nat
add action=redirect chain=dstnat comment=\
    "DIRECT ALL DNS REQUESTS TO MIKROTIK INTERNAL DNS SERVER." disabled=yes \
    dst-port=53 protocol=udp to-addresses=192.168.1.1 to-ports=53

BTW, DNS also uses TCP protocol, sou for completeness sake you should have additional pair of rules ... but with protocol set to tcp instead of udp.

BTW2: if you want LAN (client?) devices to use your Mikrotik as DNS server, why don't you configure it in DHCP server settings?

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:54 pm

Hey! Thanks for your reply.
Yes I disabled it, as it completely blocked all DNS requests on the network when it's enabled.
That firewall rule should only block traffic from the WAN shouldn't it?

Also yep I will change the DHCP As soon as I get the DNS to actually resolve from my test machine that has 192.168.1.1 manually set as the only DNS Server

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:58 pm

That firewall rule should only block traffic from the WAN shouldn't it?

No, there's no property telling firewall to be selective with this regard. If you change it to
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=53 protocol=udp in-interface=ether1

it would be more selective.

Mind that "chain=input" is not about some fictional packet direction (routers don't have any idea of what's WAN, what's LAN, what's input etc.), it's about firewall processing chains. There are 3 of them by default (you can construct additional ones though): input (processes traffic targeting router itself), output (traffic generated by router itself) and forward (traffic that only passes router between any pair of interfaces). So both connections from LAN device and from internet targeting router (any of router's IP addresses actually) will be handled by input chain.

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:04 pm

Alright. That's been done!
However the DNS Still does not use the Mikrotik to resolve the URL. It goes straight to the fallback 1.1.1.1

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:05 pm

You may want to have a look at default firewall setup. Connect as admin user via CLI, make your terminal as wide as possible and execute command /system default-configuration print (command does not wrap wide lines, these get truncated). Then scroll down a bit until you get to the firewall section. Default firewall is pretty decent, quite easy to expand (if you don't deviate much from "single WAN, single LAN" concept) and safe in the first place.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:06 pm

Alright. That's been done!
However the DNS Still does not use the Mikrotik to resolve the URL. It goes straight to the fallback 1.1.1.1

Are you sure about that? The redirection to router's own DNS service is completely transparent to DNS client ... unlike e.g. URL redirection in HTTP which makes target of redirection known to browser.
Did you remember to enable the redirect rule again?

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:10 pm

I used NSLookup to poll the mikrotik directly:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 pm

You may want to have a look at default firewall setup. Connect as admin user via CLI, make your terminal as wide as possible and execute command /system default-configuration print (command does not wrap wide lines, these get truncated). Then scroll down a bit until you get to the firewall section. Default firewall is pretty decent, quite easy to expand (if you don't deviate much from "single WAN, single LAN" concept) and safe in the first place.
I'll keep this in mind, though my boss was difficult about "Not being able to debug from home"

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Ahh, second-to-last rule in posted firewall config is rule
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop everything else"
which takes care of ... well, everything :wink:

Co add a rule
add action=accept chain=input comment="DNS from LAN" in-interface-list=DHCP protocol=udp dst-port=53
or something like that (adjust in-interface / in-interface-list property) and push it above the previously quoted "drop all" rule. Keep in mind that firewall rules are processed from top to bottom and first matching rule executes (and stops processing of packet).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:18 pm

or something like that (adjust in-interface / in-interface-list property)

Or, if you can't set sensible in-interface / in-interface-list for that rule, go with two rules (again, both above the drop all rule) in this order: first one dropping DNS requests from WAN and second one allowing DNS requests from everywhere (but WAN requests will be dropped already).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:19 pm

I'll keep this in mind, though my boss was difficult about "Not being able to debug from home"

Having winbox port open from internet, although with changed port number, and without filtering source addresses, is pretty insecure (not to use some stronger word).

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm

Ahh, second-to-last rule in posted firewall config is rule
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop everything else"
which takes care of ... well, everything :wink:
That was it!!
It works now! Thanks!

I used the bridge as the interface