Community discussions

MikroTik App

whipp
just joined
Topic Author

hap AX3 CAP mode

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:29 pm

Hello I would like to ask, how to add new hap AX3 to my current home network.
I am using CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD in Home Mesh mode. To it are connect RBwAP2nDr2, RBcAPL-2nD and RB952Ui-5ac2nD all in CAP mode.
My intention was to connect hapAX3 as follow: reset configuration --> CAPS mode, unfortunetly this method is not working.
Is there any work around how to add hap AX3 to my Home Mesh / CAPSMAN configuration?
Thanx.

kowal

Re: hap AX3 CAP mode

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Wifiwawe2 devices can be controlled only by Wifiwawe2 CAPSMan, you can't mix older devices with it for now.
Also, non-wawe2 capsman can't control wave2 devices such as hAP ax3

whipp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:46 pm

Wifiwawe2 devices can be controlled only by Wifiwawe2 CAPSMan, you can't mix older devices with it for now.
Also, non-wawe2 capsman can't control wave2 devices such as hAP ax3
So for my user-case I bought useless quite expensive device?
That is shame.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:50 pm

Where are you located Whipp, In Europe?
I want to get bpwl our resident all things wifi expert an ax3 so that he can do is usual tinkering and provide all of us the best way forwards............
Would you be willing to sell/ship etc.....

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hap AX3 CAP mode  [SOLVED]

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:57 pm

For the time being you can configure it as stand alone instead of cAP.

whipp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 pm

Where are you located Whipp, In Europe?
I want to get bpwl our resident all things wifi expert an ax3 so that he can do is usual tinkering and provide all of us the best way forwards............
Would you be willing to sell/ship etc.....
Czech republic.
Now knowing that router is useless for me. My intention was to return router back to seller.
In my country applies 14-days-return back policy.
Shipping to Canada from Europe would be very expensive.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Standalone CAP is the most logical solution here unless you really want to send it back.

I wouldn't say it's useless. It's the most performant device you have, right now (unless I am mistaking).

Q:
What's the benefit for having 3 or 4 CAPs under a CAPSMAN setup ?
Such a low amount of devices are pretty easy to setup individually.
Last edited by holvoetn on Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Shipping to Canada from Europe would be very expensive.

I know. Seems it's similar in other direction, I'm still waiting for @anav to throw me that eap 225 he's got lying under the stack of "ROS for dummies" books :wink:

I'm in Europe :idea:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:22 pm

bpwl is in europe but if whipp wants to return product for full refund thats his choice.
Remind me mkx to pack the eap 245 next time I travel to europe for easy mailout.
Shhh dont tell mkx that I till put a capac in the eap245 box. yuck yuck yuck.

whipp
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am

Standalone CAP is the most logical solution here unless you really want to send it back.

I wouldn't say it's useless. It's the most performant device you have, right now (unless I am mistaking).

Q:
What's the benefit for having 3 or 4 CAPs under a CAPSMAN setup ?
Such a low amount of devices are pretty easy to setup individually.
Iam home/beginer user and CAPSMAN was the easiest way for me to setup multiple AP around the house with same SSID.
I am not realy sure how to make that devices connected to wifi will seamlessly change AP.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:46 am

I am not realy sure how to make that devices connected to wifi will seamlessly change AP.

Capsman (currently) doesn't do anything about roaming. What capsman does is to provision CAPs wireless interfaces. Which is handy because it's easy to provision all of them using identical security settings (SSID, PSK, security protocols, etc.). If you do that manually on all APs, then end result will be exactly the same. Just make sure that wireless interfaces with same configuration are all members of same IP subnet (i.e. served by same DHCP server and using same IP gateway).

Historically capsman UI was a bit different than UI of wireless interface. Additionally there were things that weren't configurable via capsman. So many people avoided using capsman unless the number of APs was larger (and thus hard to maintain manually). Things are about to change with newer APs which run wifiwave2 driver. UI of this driver is very similar to that of capsman (with similar limitations) and "weirdness" of UI won't be excuse not to use capsman anymore.

However, until capsman2 (needed to provision wifiwave2 APs) becomes stable (it was only introduced in v7.7 a few days ago), one can still configure a few APs manually and enjoy roaming (in the imperfect way we know it now) just the same.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:43 pm

whipp our resident expert on wifi is bpwl and thats why I was suggesting sending the unit to him.
He will be able to discern the art of possible and reasonable for hapax3 product far ahead of any documentation from MT..... and to a a deeper level for those wifi nerds on the forum.

whipp
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm

Many thanks for your replays.
I was able to set AX3 as Home Mesch and it seams that roaming is working just fine.
Change my mind and keeping device.
Once more thank you all.

kzm
just joined

Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 am

Many thanks for your replays.
I was able to set AX3 as Home Mesch and it seams that roaming is working just fine.
Change my mind and keeping device.
Once more thank you all.
could you please share your solution?
I'm trying to achieve Home Mesh with Roaming using two HAP AX3 devices (connected by Ethernet cable), but I have no idea how to do it

aspen63

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:51 am

Similar question here. Can I create mesh network with three ax3 as access points, one connected to RB5009 via Ethernet cable and other two wirelessly?