Community discussions

MikroTik App

HandyDutchGuy
Topic Author

CHR first setup

Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:00 pm

I am trying to get a lab setup going with CHR. I was able to successfully load a CHR (v 7.6) VM in Proxmox (v7.3-3), and added 5 NICs as bridges linked to the onboard NIC and a 4-port NIC card. So far, so good. The VM shows the NICs and all necessary pieces. It boots up just fine. I can connect to CHR with Winbox via MAC address of ethernet5. And then the problem begins...

From my understanding, CHR has a default configuration that sets ether1 up with a DCHP client, which should then be able to pull an address from the ISP. In mm y case, I have two DHCP addresses available from my ISP for testing purposes. When I connect my laptop directly to the ISP cable modem, it pulls a DCHP address just fine, so I know that is not the issue.

And that's where I am stuck. It simply won't get/find an offer, or address.

The command "/ip dhcp-client print detail" is forever stuck with a "status=searching"
Is there a manual that might provide me insight as to what I am missing? Or is there any advice you could give me?

TIA

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CHR first setup

Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:28 am

No experience with Proxmox but on VMware ESXi I had to set promiscious mode on the vswitch for CHR to work correctly.

I assume there's an equivilent on Proxmox?

HandyDutchGuy
Topic Author

Re: CHR first setup

Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:17 am

Perhaps. I used Proxmox in the past with OPnsense and did not have to do anything special with Proxmox or its Linux bridges. I assumed I would find the same with a CHR instance. I can’t find a lot of documentation on “initial setup” for CHR, only how to install it or upgrade the license.
The fact that no one else seems to have the problem I’m having tells me I’m probably missing something obvious.
Last edited by BartoszP on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: no need to quote previos post ... we can follow the stream of discussion ... can you?

HandyDutchGuy
Topic Author

Re: CHR first setup  [SOLVED]

Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:14 am

Weeeeeell...

Had some more time to play with the setup. And sure enough - user error. The cause of the issue had nothing to do with Mikrotik, or Proxmox. I simply didn't implement the Proxmox environment properly in my lab. Lesson learned. Don't go by memory, rush through it and instead pay attention to the details.

Case solved.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a good visual how-to install CHR on Proxmox, I can recommend the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI98U1WBFFI

Bye!