Community discussions

MikroTik App

shaf6192
just joined
Topic Author

Installation on x86 device with no vga port

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:10 am

Hi, can anyone help how to install routerOS software on x86 platform with no vga, how can we redirect output to serial port at startup as we can do in linux by editing GRUB to specify serial connection details. thanks

trkk
just joined

Re: Installation on x86 device with no vga port

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm

I had done by editing /syslinux.cfg file inside bootable USB flash drive.
My device is PC Engines APU2, it doesn't use EFI boot.

- Write "install-image-7.x.img" to USB Flash Drive. (don't write ".iso" file)
- Mount USB-FD on Linux. (Windows can't mount this USB-FD.)
- Edit "syslinux.cfg" file.

After editing,
$ cat /mnt/syslinux.cfg
SERIAL 0 115200
CONSOLE 0

default system

LABEL system
        KERNEL linux
        APPEND console=ttyS0,115200n8 load_ramdisk=1 -install -hdd
This works for me.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:14 pm

Or just install it on any other PC or VM then move the disk to headless setup. As long as CPU is in the roughly same class there will be no problems, there is nothing machine specific configured/installed during install. License is only bound to the drive you install ROS to. I have several ROS installs on USB flash drives and they are very much universal, you can plug them into any server/PC and they will always boot up and bring up the console.
For headless setups I found setting up USB serial console or USB LAN config is compatible across different PCs/hardware as well, so that's the way to go on any modern boards that may not even have serial port...

shaf6192
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:53 pm

Thanks guys, it was really helpful, I was able to install using serial console, just to add when box was restarting after installation, was loosing output again but then figured out that terminal baud rate has to set to 9600 which is default value for Mikrotik.