Community discussions

MikroTik App

amirdeadline2
just joined
Topic Author

Using Mikrotik in SDN product

Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
I think this is more of a legal question than a technical one, but I am asking to see if anyone here can help or guide me in the right direction. I am developing a commercial SDN product that can manage and configure Routers and use them in an SDN fabric. If I pay the normal Mikrotik Licenses for specific functionalities, would it be a legal issue to use Mikrotik OS as one of my underlay systems?

Thank you in advance.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Using Mikrotik in SDN product

Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:49 pm

Well if you use CHR or X86, they offer software licenses. But AFAIK there is no way to license the software to run on non-Intel platforms without their hardware.

The offer a "branding kit" which is designed for OEM, so integrating RouterOS into something else would seeming be allowed.

amirdeadline2
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Using Mikrotik in SDN product

Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:20 am

Thank you Amm0, for the reply
I am actually saying that I want to use Mikrotik router boards, not any other hardware platform; it is just an orchestrator that will manage and configure the Router fully(VPNs, Control Plane, Management Plane) to be part of an SDWAN solution.
I do not like this type of gray area. I think it is allowed but not 100% sure. Thanks anyway!