Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bolo
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ax3 or rb5009 and LANs vs VLANs

Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:52 pm

Hi there
I'm new to this forum and I've been started studying and "playing" with mikrotik for a couple of weeks now. I have bought used hAP lite and rb760 to make some experience (and still have to study and learn toooooo much), however I have a "real world" question hoping you can give me a suggestione.
I have a full 1 Gbps down and 280Mbps Up FTTH with static IP and would like to replace the ISP router (adb vv5822) with some good piece of hardware given that the adb router comes with an operator firmware which is totally locked.
In the close future the FTTH will be converted to 2.5Gpbs so something future proof would be also fine. I'd like to setup two separated LANs (or VLANs), one for IOT and entertainment devices (streaming movies and music), the other for my lab + NAS. The lab hosts are wired to a Zyxel 10Gbps switch and I'm operating a full 10Gbps connection between my desktop and the NAS.
Now, I'm not a network expert, but I would like to have a well performing, healthy and secure home network. In future, access to a cloud service on my NAS remotely would also be a plus. The WiFi part is now covered by a quite old Netgear Orbi mesh to be substituted by something better in the next months.
I would have to questions and I hope you can help me.
The first one is related to the router choice: I was looking to rb5009 but as I mentioned I'm not a networking expert even if I like to learn, so I also took a look to the new hAP AX3. What's your suggestion by considering also to get the full speed from my FTTH?
The second one is related to LANs vs VLANs: today I have a common network for every device (IOT and lab) but as I mentioned I'd like to separe the two networks and set some good firewall rules. Would it be better to "physically" separe them with separate LANs and differente broadcast domains or it would be better to use VLANs instead? For sake of completeness, the Zyxel switch is managed and capable of handling VLANs even if at a basic level (Zyxel XGS1250-12).
Thanks so much for your time. Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated