Community discussions

MikroTik App

gyoung
just joined
Topic Author

How to Whitelist IP

Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:55 pm

Hello,

I work for a security company installing CCTV and Audio. I'm having issues with SIP registration from the speaker to our PBX server. From what I gathered from the speaker manufacturer a Pcap determined the firewall is blocking the data. Unfortunately I'm not an network expert and the customer does not have a clue on how to whitelist an ip. I am familiar with port forwarding, is this a similar process?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to Whitelist IP

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:10 pm

What does that have to do with mikrotik??

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Hello,

I work for a security company installing CCTV and Audio. I'm having issues with SIP registration from the speaker to our PBX server. From what I gathered from the speaker manufacturer a Pcap determined the firewall is blocking the data. Unfortunately I'm not an network expert and the customer does not have a clue on how to whitelist an ip. I am familiar with port forwarding, is this a similar process?
Kinda similar, in the sense that for a "port-forwarding" you can also APPLY a white-list. (basically "who is allowed to hit your port-forward")

The only action to take

1) Create a "access-list" and add all the IP's that will be allowed to communicate
2) Apply this list to the specific firewall-rule responsible for the communications (does not have to be a DNAT-rule, depends on the configuration of the Mikrotik)

But your question is rather generic, without more details or a simple schematic it will be difficult to provide more tips.

gyoung
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm

What does that have to do with mikrotik??
Thats what the customer has so I was hoping someone would be familiar with setup and could guide me.

thanks,

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:17 pm

If you could obtain a config-extract from your customer you'll probably get some support here.
However the question is ; does your customer even know how to login this Mikrotik and perform some basic things ?? If not, advise him to get in touch with some Mikrotik consultant who can perform this thing in (less) than 1 hour from the moment he can remotely connect to the Mikrotik (eg. via TeamViewer or something)
Whitelisting something is pretty basic stuff.

https://mikrotik.com/consultants

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Concur, unless you are authorized to work on the router ( and have some training ) this could go sideways fast.
In fact, why would you want to get involved in potentially screwing up someones business IT when you are not IT but security cameras etc.......
Apples and Oranges.

Concur, if the customer wants you to handle everything then you should contact a consultant to get that part of the work done and pass the bill along as your overall bill.
Any other approach is foolish and JV should be drawn and quartered for suggesting anything else. The next time some one gives me a stella gonna pour it down the drain..........

https://mikrotik.com/consultants