Community discussions

MikroTik App

fred974
Topic Author

How to get IP from pfsense vlan interface

Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Hi,

I have a Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM switch that I am struggling to configure.
The management ether1 interface is connected to a 1G dell switch and is only used to manage the switch. All the other should be able to get IP from the firewall DHCP server via vlan 100.
To get the management IP, I simply set it in the quick config section but I cannot get any IP from any of the SFP+ interface.

Could anyone please advice me on how to achieve this basic config?

Thank you

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to get IP from pfsense vlan interface

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Here's a very good tutorial on how to configure VLANs on Mikrotik ... your device will do it in switch chip at wire speed. Example in post #2 (Switch with a separate router) is similar to what you most probably want to achieve.

A side note: in theory you could use that RJ45 port as "yet another LAN port", but I suggest you to really reserve it for management (even if OOB so you can use it in case of emergency ... and while your initial config). Which means you will want not to add it as port to bridge. You will rather configure static IP address directly on ether1 interface. Meaning that you don't need any of VLAN interfaces anchored to bridge.