Community discussions

MikroTik App

granjow
Topic Author

Cannot reset hAP Lite

Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:22 pm

I have a hAP lite which I bought some years ago and stored it in the shelf for most of the time, now I want to reconfigure it to test a network setup. However, I cannot, by any means, connect to it.
  • When I reset it with the reset button (unplug power, hold reset, add power, keep holding until LED flashes), this does not seem to have any effect
  • A Wireless AP that I configured some years ago is still online
  • When only connecting my laptop to any of the ether2…4 ports and pinging it, one out of 100 pings succeed, all others result in a timeout
  • When I connect to the MikroTik WLAN, I can access the hAP for a few seconds with the Mikrotik app, then my phone is disconnected
  • When I flash the hAP with netboot (latest OS), the update succeeds
  • After updating, the hAP STILL has the old configuration, the WLAN AP I added years ago, etc.
What is happening here? How can I get this hAP to be reset for good and to work again?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cannot reset hAP Lite  [SOLVED]

Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:06 pm

Netinstall with option to remove config.

granjow
Topic Author

Re: Cannot reset hAP Lite

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:07 pm

Thanks, that helped!

(For anyone else finding this topic: It is the -r flag on the netinstall cli.)

granjow
Topic Author

Re: Cannot reset hAP Lite

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:47 pm

… well, in fact I was misreading the symptoms, and the problem is a different one.

The hAP probably reset correctly. The WLAN which I thought was persisting was in fact from a different access point and had nothing to do with the hAP.

After doing some more experiments (I have a hAP, a hEX, an ac³, and a RB260), I again had the issue that pinging the hAP would succed in one of 100 cases and otherwise time out. That annoyed the hell out of me, and I decided there was no point in trying to get the network configuration right when I cannot even access the hAP, and gave up for the time being.

Today I power up all devices again, and I can ping the hAP and connect to it like it had never been different. And I bet that I will run into the issue again.

Can this be related to outdated ARP entries or something else that is cached on my laptop? I connected it to different devices over ethernet, trying to access them on 192.168.88.1, which always worked except for the hAP after some time.