Community discussions

MikroTik App

Elvis1991
just joined
Topic Author

Add one more bridge in series

Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi all,
I installed a bridge with 2 MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 (slave and master) connecting two different network, both SXTsq work properly.
building A: internet connection/Modem-Router ----> MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 (------bridge-------) MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 ----> Router-wi-fi in building B
Now I would link to add other bridge between ed. B and my garage, I need the remote control of an Arduino/Rasberry project. It's possible to connect an other MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 or similar in to the router of building B to make a second bridge like this:

building A: internet connection/Modem-Router ----> MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 (------bridge-------) MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 ----> Router-wi-fi in building B -----> MikroTik SXTsq Lite2
(------bridge-------) MikroTik SXTsq Lite2 ----> router C in building C--->Rasberry....

What about ping on the second connection? I may use an other (higher category) access point?

Thanks in advance

Elvis.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Add one more bridge in series

Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:20 pm

So you would like to connect two "SXTsq Lite2" to the one at building B, one existing in building A and another one (new) in building C?

That's technically called Point to Multi Point, and the node in hub (building B in your case) has to perform as ap-bridge. For that license level 4 is necessary but your SXTsq Lite2 only come with license level 3.
Don't worry about he fact that router is located at building A ... wifi links are (in principle) symmetrical and it doesn't matter which way is default gateway. However, from wireless network topology point of view .. the device located in hub has to be AP (master of wireless network around it; mode=ap-bridge) and devices located in spokes have to be clients (mode=station-bridge).

So what you can do is purchase another wireless device for building B and re-use SXTsq Lite2 in building C. Beware that typical Point-to-point devices have pretty narrow beam antenna and if you want to connect two clients to same antenna, the AP antenna has to be wide enough to cover both directions. When selecting device (or antennae if device supports using detachable antennae), make sure antenna will be wide enough and that included ROS license level is 4 or higher.

Elvis1991
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Ok, thanks for your straight answer.
I got the topology needed. A, B and C are displaced similar to a triangle, and the angle ABC is about 120 deg, AB= 50m, BC=40m.
Can you suggest a model? I found this one: MikroTik RB911G-2HPND-12S 12dBi or mANTBox 2 12s. Could these antennas be wide enough to cover my two SXTsq lite2 ?

And does the routers located in B and C must have a specific requirement to make the Point to Multi Point configuration?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:04 pm

RB911G-2HPND-12S will probably do if angle between BA and BC is indeed 120°. So you'll have to point AP right between both buildings, AP will cover them with edge of main beam.

As I wrote you'll have to configure it as ap-bridge, other two should be station-bridge.

Elvis1991
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:38 pm

Measuring the angle between the the point A, and C is less than 90 deg (on xy plane), nevertheless on xz plane is about 38 deg. I don't know very well the antennas design but I guess the VP, HP elevation gain diagram suggest that mANTBox 2 12s does not have a wide range in vertical plane (lass than 35). Can you suggest me an other 2.4 GHz antenna fit better in my case?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:19 pm

Have a look at SXT 2 (https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/sxt_211037.pdf) . 60° is the angle with -3dBm , it goes wider (but weaker)