Community discussions

MikroTik App

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

CAP ac dead after upgrade

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:25 pm

I had device running on 7.4.1 and powered through POE port of RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD. Configured as access point, routing disabled
I did an online update to 7.7 via Web interface, since that, only ETH1 LED is blinking, cannot connect and doesn't boot up.
I already did a reset (5s) several times, where sequence works as it should and installed 7.4.1, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7 as well as latest 6.x vis netinstall, which also worked flawlessly.
But no matter what I did, no more reaction than EHT1 blinking.

Wasted already some hours of trials, no more ideas.
Does someone have an idea, what else to try?

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CAP ac dead after upgrade

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:40 am

Might of been a corrupt installation, have a look over the following help page and give re-installing the operating system a shot: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
The only thing that's not documented is the behaviour with virtual adapters, if you have any running on the PC you are netinstalling form please make sure that you disable them while you are netinstalling the device otherwise it will cause the device to not be able to communicate :)

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:40 am

Unfortunately, even after installing several versions via netinstall, still the same, device not starting up.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:00 am

By not starting up you (also) mean:
- no DHCP request?
- not discoverable?

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 am

Just EHT1 is blinking.
No DHCP, no AP is started and also not discovered, if I set network on NIC to 192.168.88.x
Normally, during startup, the WiFi LEDs shall light up.
Now, power is solid, ETH1 blink, option LED on front goes off shortly after power up.
But I can perform factory reset (5s reset at startup) and go into netboot, this works correctly.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:51 am

XXX
Last edited by rextended on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:47 am

Just to be sure: must netinstall Version match firmware version or will latest netinstall install any version correctly. For me, netinstall 7.7 did the job for all other firmware versions (install successful), but as mentioned, neither version started up.
Is installing bootloader from current firmware?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:07 pm

XXX
Last edited by rextended on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:45 pm

Thanks for help, in the end I decided to use this device as paperweight, as I already wasted almost one day with it.
Bought a TP-Link AX AP instead, that just works out of the box without needing to configure bridges and interfaces, this cost me a lot of time since.
Will also use HAP-AP and RB4011 as paperweight, quite fed-up with yet another error with each firmware release.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:10 pm

How much does TP-Link pay you to post these things on the forum for defamatory advertising?

In just 8 days since you signed up you busted out 3 devices?

Already after the first one you had to ask yourself "what am I doing, am I able?"

At this point, you've written nothing but bullshit to me.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 pm

Thanks for help, in the end I decided to use this device as paperweight, as I already wasted almost one day with it.
Bought a TP-Link AX AP instead, that just works out of the box without needing to configure bridges and interfaces, this cost me a lot of time since.
Will also use HAP-AP and RB4011 as paperweight, quite fed-up with yet another error with each firmware release.
If you want to give it a go again, I have had great success with netinstall on Linux. If that is just a no go, with windows plugged into dumb switch, and every other network adapter disabled and the firewall turned off, the same success. I get it can be frustrating, I had the same issue with a single CAP AC on the 7.7 install. I think the problem was my fault as I didn't realize it was upgrading when I killed power to it. OOF

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 am

Tp-Link was just my current decision, but Netgear, ASUS, Dlink or whatever cold stand here, if they paid, I would have put it on more public area ;-)
Just for understanding, I bought my RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD back in 2019 due to port count and SFP+ uplink option. Was quite happy with features but also a bit frustrated due to non intuitive user interface. Noted, that I started with WiFi devices back in 2001 with first 802.11b devices and configured almost all major brands but ubiquiti since, even aftermarket firmwares like Openwrt, Tomato, dd-wrt and RouterOS was the one with highest learning demands and recherche for How-Tos since.
Bought a couple of TP-Link PoE APs, EAP225/245 to have overall WiFi coverage and wanted to power one via RB4011 PoE-out, which simply didn't work. This should ensure connectivity for smart connected devices during night, when unnecessary network is switched of for ppower saving reasons. As not unhappy with the router, I bought the CAP and HAP ac, which both worked on PoE out, but already spent an entire afternoon to configute CAP as access point, don't know for what reason this is a router by default. Spent the time to configure - unreachable - reset, configute again a little further - unreachable again, very frustrating. Same with HAP. As went on holidays, have overseen limit to return units and have them covered by dust during 2021. Needed another AP last summer, so flashed CAP to FW 7.4.1, configured as AP and worked this time for basic coverage, thus, WiFi performance being quite poor, more like 802.11g device.
Finally, after flashing RB4011 to every current firmware, I decided to also update CAP, as Release notes for new versions always wouldvirtual print on several pages. Just used integrated update option to do this. I returned about 20 minutes after starting update, unit had just ETH1 blinking and never got the unit beyond this so far. Spent another almost 3 hours since, trying different firmware and reset cycling without luck.
As meanwhile my hapiness with RB4011 vanished due to unstable WiFi connection and a couple of devices just refuse to connect to RB4011 WiFi, take some minutes to finally connect or even are not able to connect online on 2,4GHz WiFi thus connected correctly and router has almost basic configuration, I thought of alternative solution. As out of the last experiences, I'd also not unbox my HAP. Final decision to switch to TP-Link now was as Omada-Controller is now available as app for my Asustor NAS, so have just one management-tool in tjhe end that is also intuitive.
And also I am not willing anymore to read through endless tutorials on how to configure an AP as an AP and not router, as this is impossible to find out with 20 years of experience how to do it by simply walking through unit parameters and ending up on hours of trials and errors.
Nobody pays for this time, so I go for a solution that simply works out of the box after 2 minutes of configuration
So I hope I could explain the bullshit I posted before!

@cfikes
Thanks for hints, currently I have only SBC instances of Linux running and set-up a dedicated machine just for netinstall, as with virtual adapters for WSL / WSA on my productive systems that cannot set disabled it didn't work anyway. Netinstall finishes with success, but CAP still no reaction

gabrielebellini
just joined

Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:37 pm

Unfortunately, even after installing several versions via netinstall, still the same, device not starting up.
Had the same issue. Quite late in reply, but using eth1 MAC address in "Connect to" field of Winbox allowed me to gain access to device again:
viewtopic.php?t=203250

tomklu76
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:50 am

Thanks for this hint, I don't remember if I tried that.
Meanwhile at home I use a setup with a TP-Link ER7212PC, one each EAP653, EAP655, EAP615, EAP245, EAP225, all APs supplied and managed by the router. This just works.
I scrapped the CAP and use the remaining Mikrotik units at school for the students to play around besides Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo, Tenda devices I had laying around.