Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tinne
just joined
Topic Author

bandwidth control and network sharing

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Hi, I would like to share the internet with my neighbor by separating the networks so that I don't have any proven devices visible.

As I understand it, the best solution is to set the "bandwidth control".

We have a LAN cable that connects our homes.
The connection from the ISP would come to my house.

It is possible to set the Microtick so that:
- half of the bandwidth should be carried by cable to my neighbor's house (he will then use his router as an access point)
- the other half is available for me, in the other LAN ports and in the WiFi?

Could a Mikrotik hAP ax³ be enough?
ksnip_20230123-174749.jpeg

Or do I need 2 routers? For example, an hEX for bandwidth control and an hAP ax³ as an access point?

ksnip_20230123-180211.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seriquiti
just joined

Re: bandwidth control and network sharing

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:51 am

One router will be fine and the AX3 should have more than enough power to do that.
  • You will just create a separate VLAN for neighbours traffic. .
  • Setup firewall rules to disable traffic between networks. .
  • Disable Fastpath for traffic to/from internet and create queue's for shaping. .
  • I would have done it with Simple queue's - One parent default queue with max-limit 95M/19M buffer size 4096K. Your connection SFQ queue with limit-at 45M/9M and max-limit 90M/18M. Neighbour SFQ queue with limit-at 45M/9M and max-limit 90M/18M. With this config you and your neighbour can borrow speed from eachother when available. Just do some speedtest to ensure that you actually allways do get 100M/20M else your shaping will do nothing.