Community discussions

MikroTik App

yegorovp
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik device to serve as an external wifi card?

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:13 am

Hello!
For some reasons I've started to travel a lot and spend most of my digital life using Very Bad wi-fi hotspots in hotels, airports, libraries and so on. These networks are often badly configured and maintained, so I've started to hit the same problem from time to time. It's name is "MacOS wireless network roaming". I like my MacBook, but it's network part was designed by some evil geniuses who wanted everybody to suffer.

Just a typical situation that happens all the time. Let's say we have a hotel with free wi-fi. It has dozens of wi-fi routers all over the building, with the same name, same password, etc. In some perfect case that would mean you'll just select correct Wi-Fi name from the list, enter the password and then some magic happens. But it's not. Some of that AP can have connection issues. Some of them can just be buggy as hell. Some of them just can reboot every time someone turns on the light in his room (true story). You can randomly find some exact AP that works well and pray to God that macOS won't deside to switch to some another AP with the same name, just because it can.

Some time ago you could just force macOS to connect to a specific BSSID. Now you can't. I'm not kidding, really, you can't.

So, I thought I could buy some mikrotik device and use it like some kind of external wifi card. For example, tell it to connect to That:Exact:BSSID:For:God:Sake, create second, "guest" network for my notebook, phone, etc and add even add some VPN magic. Any advices? I though about hAP Mini, but not sure.

Thanks!