Community discussions

MikroTik App

edyatl
just joined
Topic Author

Removing an account from this forum without any reason or notification.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm

Dear admins please clearify why my MikroTik forums account, registred at September 2021 has been permanetely removed without any reason or notification?
I'm not a hard user of this forum, but I visit it once or twice a month to read announcements of new releases and find some tips and hints for setting up my devices.
I've posted just a few comments over the years and they don’t contain links and shouldn’t trigger any anti web spam measures.
Yesterday I tried to login on into the forum but got the rsponse: "We havn't such user name".
There are no any messages from MikroTik forums in my email inbox about ban or removing account.
I recently created a new profile on the forum with same nickname.
Please describe what was my fault and how to prevent my current account from being deleted in the future?

nFin1ty
just joined

Re: Removing an account from this forum without any reason or notification.

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:18 pm

Same thing happened to me without any prior notification. Recreated the account with same username and email address...

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:11 am

I am not affiliated with mikrotik so I can't explain why these particular cases happened.
However, common thing on all forums is link farming through hacked accounts. e.g. You password leaks from some service and it is same as your mikrotik forum password. Spammers buy a database of leaked credentials and access your account. They modify your existing posts to contain links, either visible (so users have chance to click on it) or invisible (to get better SEO). Compromised account like this is obviously treated as a spam/bot account.

I can imagine this to be most likely reason, but only mikrotik staff can look it up and confirm.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 am

Another reason may have been migrating databases and errors occurred. I have never heard of this happening and if it was by intent I would have been gone long ago. :-)))))
I am not as nice as the pretty pony!!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:22 am

Probably both account are hacked for password leak shared from other social media, or just a simple password easy to find.

When one account is hacked, and has just few useless posts is deleted.

Nothing to add.

And since you've registered again without any problems, make sure you don't re-enter the same password as before, and don't make useless arguments.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:02 am

my password = zerotrustcloudflaretunnelpackage-youfeelmeNormunds

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:30 am

There was a massive Bot attack that affected old forum accounts, your password was leaked somewhere else and bots used it to log in. They used your account to post spam. This is why your accounts were deleted. I think there were no other posts, accounts were not active before. I see you found the solutution already - make a new account. I just hope you did not use the same password.

edyatl
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:38 am

Many thanks to everyone for your responses! My password was generated by the in-built Chrome password manager and it was 15 characters long. I only used this password for authentication on the MikroTik forums, so it appears that the leak came from the MikroTik forum.

updt: Additionally, I have recently checked in Troy Hunt's pwned password database, and it appears that this password has not been included in any data breaches.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 am

[…] it appears that the leak came from the MikroTik forum […]
[…] checked in Troy Hunt's pwned password database, and it appears that this password has not been included in any data breaches […]
As if the truth of the universe is in that database, maybe your chrome password database has been hacked and you don't even know it.

Since anything you (and I) post cannot be proven, it is too presumptuous of you to accuse the forum.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 am

There's a glitch in the matrix.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Removing an account from this forum without any reason or notification.  [SOLVED]

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:10 am

if your account had zero posts, it might be possible we removed it together with some spam accounts, as a precaution

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:22 am

The security of the mailbox must also be taken into consideration: It is useless to put a complex password on the forum, if it is then 123456 in the registration email.

Is it possible to lock (not delete) all dormant accounts?
For example if the account do not login on forum from 1 year, the user are forced next time to recovery the password?

And maybe implement password expiration, forcing a secure password to be entered upon renewal?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:31 am

And also like this:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=210807

Remove all 0 or 1 posts accounts that have ridiculous uptime of 4/5 seconds...

edyatl
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 am

[…] it appears that the leak came from the MikroTik forum […]
[…] checked in Troy Hunt's pwned password database, and it appears that this password has not been included in any data breaches […]
As if the truth of the universe is in that database, maybe your chrome password database has been hacked and you don't even know it.

Since anything you (and I) post cannot be proven, it is too presumptuous of you to accuse the forum.
Do you have information on a specific CVE related to a hack of the built-in password manager database in Google Chrome version 108 for Linux?
Might it be possible for you to kindly demonstrate a working exploit for it?

edyatl
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 am

if your account had zero posts, it might be possible we removed it together with some spam accounts, as a precaution
I believe that this is currently the most probable explanation for the situation at hand. Thanks!