Community discussions

MikroTik App

regisbm
just joined
Topic Author

LtAP Mini / GPS output coordinates in NMEA format through serial port

Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:07 pm

Hello all,

I have one simple question regarding the LtAP Mini. Is it possible to output GPS coordinates in NMEA format through the serial port?

I thought that since you have to disable the console and re-associate the serial port with the GPS, then it would be used to output the coordinates, but it does not work.

I have tried all firmware versions available 6.48.6 long-term, 6.49.7 stable and currently it has 7.7 stable installed. The behavior is the same regardless of the firmware version.

I don't have problems with the serial port or serial cable. The console works fine when activated (GPS, of course, is disabled in this case).

The GPS also works fine. I get the coordinate without problems and transmit them to a HTTP server for GPS tracking, but I also would like them to be output through the serial port.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LtAP Mini / GPS output coordinates in NMEA format through serial port

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:31 pm

Not as familiar with the LtAP Mini and it's internal GPS, so kinda guessing here. But if you have /system/gps enabled, that's using the same serial port and you can't have two open.

If you disable the /system/gps and then try using /system/serial-termial or assign to your real serial port, does that work?

regisbm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:48 pm

If I disable the /system gps, I can use the serial terminal without problems.

I am asking this question because it is weird to have to associate the GPS with a serial port and then no data is transmitted through it. It is as if the serial port is just being used internally when associated with the GPS.

I would be less confused if I just had to disable the serial port from the terminal and after that the GPS could be enabled but without associating it with a serial port, as if they were two resources that could not be used at the same time.
mikrotik_ltapmini_gps.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 am

It is as if the serial port is just being used internally when associated with the GPS.
[...] as if they were two resources that could not be used at the same time.
Does seem that way. /system/gps likely exclusively opening the NMEA serial data stream, so the serial port can't use it at same time.

The Block Diagram shows the "XOR" with GPS and the Serial Port: