Community discussions

MikroTik App

mcfool123
just joined
Topic Author

Mystery data

Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 am

Hi there all,

I am running a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ as my router and recently upgraded my modem to get the greater than gig speeds from Comblast. To do this I needed to use the SFP+ port as my WAN and then VLAN trunk out my LAN's. This is done through a CRS305-1G-4s+ using a 10 G RJ45 SFP+ module to connect to the 2.5 G port on the modem. The only way to get this working was using RouterOS as DHCP was not being picked up through SWOS. In RouterOS everything was configured with a PVID on the WAN ports and the VLAN's applied to LAN/WAN SFP+ port plus the downlink port. Now comes the weird part and that is when watching the port traffic on the SFP+ switch for the Modem to WAN (1) Port. It appears that traffic coming from the Router to WAN (2) port that is going to my downlink port is also going back over the Modem to Wan (1) port. When testing from behind just the router everything appears to be fine. Any idea what this weird traffic could be? It does not appear to affect anything as it is not flooding the uplink on the modem unless I am using the internet.

Example of finding: Run speedtest on computer that is behind Downlink port on CRS305 and Upload is fine; Out to PC > In Switch > Out Downlink > In Router to Wan (2) > Out Modem to WAN (1).

With this I would see 40 Mb Tx on Downlink from the PC, 40 Mb Tx and RX on Router to WAN (2); 40 Mb Tx Modem to WAN (1)

When downloading I see it go; In In Modem to WAN (1) > Out Router to WAN (2) > In Router to WAN (2) > Out Downlink *+ showing match speed on Tx for Modem to WAN (1) > In Switch > Out PC.

With this I would see 100 Mb Rx on Modem, 100 Mb RX and TX on Router, 100 Mb Rx Downlink + 100 Mb on TX for Modem to WAN (1)

Why is this traffic going over a port that it shouldn't be, VLAN's are not on the Modem to WAN (1) port. Also when running a torch this data is missing from the list. I can kind of see this for the traffic on Modem to WAN (1) since that is unmanaged traffic till it hits the modem but I don't see why I can't torch it when it is leaving the router to go to the downlink and looks to also be passing over the Modem to WAN (1) port. Missing torch traffic is also seen on Router to WAN (2) when I am seeing this mystery traffic over Modem to WAN (1).

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mystery data

Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:21 am

Post your configurations from /export hide-sensitive in a terminal window, after redacting serial number, public IPs, etc., in a code block for readbility (the '[]' icon in the menu above the text box when posting).