Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rhosta
just joined
Topic Author

hAP AX2 configuring Wifi for AC+AX

Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 pm

Hello,
last year, I bought hAP AX2 for home use, without prior experience with Mikrotik products.
Currently I am running RouterOS v7.7
For configuration I used Quick Set, with some minor manual changes in configuration afterwards. I disabled 2.4 GHz in Wifi Wave 2 as I have no use for it currently, reduced Tx Power to 11, to avoid unnecessary wifi noise outside my flat, I changed DHCP Server Lease Time to 16 Hours to avoid frequent disconnects of my mobile devices.

When I was trying to configure Wifi Channel I struggled to keep it functional for all my devices. With hAP AX2 being Wifi AX enabled device, naturally I want be able to use Wifi AX with devices, that are compatible, but when I set it to 5GHz AX, I have trouble connecting my AC only devices.

Currently I am connecting with those 3 devices:
Dell Latitude E5470 with Intel Wireless-AC 8260 (Windows 10)
iPhone 6S (iOS 15)
iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 16)

In the end I came up with this config that allowed all 3 devices to connect:

That is obviously not ideal, as I gave up AX in return.

Now with my knowledge being very limited in this area, I have a few questions, I am hoping to get answer to here:
1) How do I setup monitoring of connected devices and their connection details in Mikrotik interface, so I can see what protocols and security they use when connected, so I can test and verify any future changes? (band, frequency, width, authentication type, encryption type, etc.)
2) Is it even possible for devices to still use 5GHz AC band if I set it to 5GHz AX, or would I have to setup second Wifi Channel with different settings? Would that Channel require to use 2,4Ghz radio, that I disabled earlier?

I would greatly appreciate any info or information source, that would help me in this regard.

EDIT: Attached exported config
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shalak

Re: hAP AX2 configuring Wifi for AC+AX

Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:27 pm

Have you ever found a way to run both AX and AC? I just noticed, that one of my devices (Steam Deck) is unable to connect to AX network :(

Rhosta
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:38 pm

Have you ever found a way to run both AX and AC? I just noticed, that one of my devices (Steam Deck) is unable to connect to AX network :(
I haven't yet no.
It seems that some devices work and some don't. When I set it to AX, both my iPhones connect even though none of them has AX Wifi module. That Dell laptop just isn't able to connect and was the primary reason why I was seeking help here. I replaced laptop recently to model with AX Wifi module, so I set it back to AX.

I am surprised that Steam Deck has an issue here as it is fairly new device, maybe routerOS 7.8 will improve compatibility with more devices.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:06 pm

(THIS IS NOT ON MIKROTIK RADIOS BUT WHAT I LEARNED FROM USING SEVERAL MANUFACTURES)

You need an SSID with WPA3 enabled... that can take advantage of AX.
Then have another SSID that goes up to WPA2.

I had several devices that would not connect as soon as I turned on WPA3.

2 SSIDs cured it.

shalak

Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:15 pm

(THIS IS NOT ON MIKROTIK RADIOS BUT WHAT I LEARNED FROM USING SEVERAL MANUFACTURES)

You need an SSID with WPA3 enabled... that can take advantage of AX.
Then have another SSID that goes up to WPA2.

I had several devices that would not connect as soon as I turned on WPA3.

2 SSIDs cured it.
I have both WPA2 & WPA3 enabled on this interface. I'm wondering how big of a performance hit I would get if I add a slave interface on 5GHz interface, one that will use AC (and hopefully same SSID)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:44 am

Good questions, when you set 5ghz to AX, does it mean UP TO AX and still allows all legacy connections to connect, it would seem so.
THus if one created a virtual WLAN off the master channel, and its set to AC, presumably it will allow you as that is included in the UP TO AX, on the master......

Which may provide a path as older devices should use SSID=!AX (WPA2) and newer device SSID=AX (WPA3)

shalak

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:04 am

Ok, the problem was not AX vs AC, the problem is that Steam Deck doesn't work with WPA2/WPA3 (hopefully this will be fixed soon). So until then, I spinned up a slave 5GHz interface running AX with WPA/WPA2.

I executed some performance benchmarks (simple iperf) and I saw no major hit to the network speed.