Community discussions

MikroTik App

smort
just joined
Topic Author

IPv6 connectivity through VPS

Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 pm

My current ISP does not support IPv6. I have a VPS in which I have installed routerOS CHR, the VPS has a single external IPv4 address and the VPS provider also provides a routed IPv6 /48 subnet (but seems to have no DHCP server). My home router is RB4011 and I want to tunnel IPv6 through wireguard (or similar) to the VPS so all IPv6 connections goes through the VPS CHR router and to the internet. Can someone help push me in the right direction on how to implement this? I am very familiar with wireguard and IPv4 but I have never touched IPv6 before.

What I think I want to achieve is a dual-stack on the home network where the local devices get both an IPv4 and IPv6 address (dhcp from the /48 subnet?) and that IPv4 traffic is routed through my home ISP (RB4011) and IPv6 traffic routed through the VPS.

ConradPino

Re: IPv6 connectivity through VPS

Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:40 pm

Wireguard or VPN don't add much value as IPv6 traffic is in the clear past VPS instance.
The easy way is a 6in4 tunnel between local and VPS instance.
Consider free IPv6 tunnel (6in4) service for no added cost.

smort
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm

Thanks will a 6in4 tunnel work if my home router is behind NAT and doesn't have a public IP?

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:11 pm

You can use DDNS (IP/cloud) or a script to update a record in thirty-party providers like Cloudflare.
Also, you can get an IPv6 at https://ipv6.he.net/. It will use the same 6-to4 tunnel. Additionally, native IPv6 connectivity is available for both direct connections.

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm

My current ISP does not support IPv6. I have a VPS in which I have installed routerOS CHR, the VPS has a single external IPv4 address and the VPS provider also provides a routed IPv6 /48 subnet (but seems to have no DHCP server). My home router is RB4011 and I want to tunnel IPv6 through wireguard (or similar) to the VPS so all IPv6 connections goes through the VPS CHR router and to the internet. Can someone help push me in the right direction on how to implement this? I am very familiar with wireguard and IPv4 but I have never touched IPv6 before.

What I think I want to achieve is a dual-stack on the home network where the local devices get both an IPv4 and IPv6 address (dhcp from the /48 subnet?) and that IPv4 traffic is routed through my home ISP (RB4011) and IPv6 traffic routed through the VPS.
what VPS provider are you using?
I think you can add /64 (from your /48) to your CHR interface ant tick "Advertise" for this address. Connect your CHR and home router with wireguard and create EOIP tunnel for L2 interconnect and your home clients should get ipv6 from your CHR.

ConradPino

Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:59 pm

Happy many years with Hurricane Electric https://www.tunnelbroker.net/ which has REST API to update changed public IPv4 NAT address.
Find your public IPv4 endpoint for 6in4 tunnel with http://checkip.dyndns.org/ to setup initial connection then user REST API as needed.

smort
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 pm

what VPS provider are you using?
I think you can add /64 (from your /48) to your CHR interface ant tick "Advertise" for this address. Connect your CHR and home router with wireguard and create EOIP tunnel for L2 interconnect and your home clients should get ipv6 from your CHR.
I am using Terrahost. Thanks I'll try over wireguard and EOIP. Do I need to configure additional routing for my home router or will IPv6 packets from my home network be routed automatically to internet through the CHR?

smort
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:04 pm

Happy many years with Hurricane Electric https://www.tunnelbroker.net/ which has REST API to update changed public IPv4 NAT address.
Find your public IPv4 endpoint for 6in4 tunnel with http://checkip.dyndns.org/ to setup initial connection then user REST API as needed.
Sorry my IPv4 is behind double NAT so a dynamic DNS will not work

ConradPino

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 pm

Sorry my IPv4 is behind double NAT so a dynamic DNS will not work
Number of NAT don't matter; all that matters is 6in4 packets (IP Protocol 41) aren't blocked; the HE REST API keeps up with dynamic IPv4 changes.
Prefering another approach is completely understandable but NAT by itself isn't a 6in4 killer; blocked IP Protocol 41 (6in4) is the deal killer.
Whichever remote end point is chosen, the IPv6 encapsulation over IPv4 issues will be very similar across all remote options.
Best wishes.

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 am

I am using Terrahost. Thanks I'll try over wireguard and EOIP. Do I need to configure additional routing for my home router or will IPv6 packets from my home network be routed automatically to internet through the CHR?
I think something like this
dst-address=::/0 gateway=wg-interface
should to the trick

ConradPino

Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 am

Some devices won't accept "::/0" as default gateway destination; if so, the public IPv6 address space is covered by "2000::/3" destination.