Community discussions

MikroTik App

ceitho207
just joined
Topic Author

Hap ac lite

Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:15 pm

So I have managed to get my LHG R router connected to the mobile data network outside, but am consistently failing to get the Hap ac lite to act as a wireless access point indoors, despite numerous resets to factory default. The Poe injector from the external antenna is plugged into ethernet socket 1 of the hap ac lite and I am trying to configure the Hap ac lite using an ethernet cable from my laptop to ethernet socket 2 of the Hap. Could someone advise in very simple terms how I should configure the hap ac lite so that it acts as a wired/ wireless access point only, I am assuming that the LHG R routerboard is acting as the main router. Sorry if this seems very basic but I am new to Mikrotik and am on a vertical learning trajectory. Any help would be massively appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hap ac lite

Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am

Your hAP ac Lite probably comes with "Quick Set" set to "Home AP Dual". This makes eth1 the WAN connection (Internet) and the other ether ports and WLAN interfaces are the LAN network. The hAP ac Lite provides DHCP leases for the LAN from the bridge. (DHCP server on the bridge.)

If this different IP range is not what you want, you have to convert the hAP ac Lite to non-routing AP.

There are several ways to get there.

1. Alter the "Home AP Dual" config not using Quick Set.
Add eth1 as port to the bridge. Move the DHCP client from eth1 to the bridge. Stop the DHCP server on the bridge, All eth ports are now the same LAN.

or

2. Change the Quick Set to "WISP AP" in bridge mode. But WISP AP only sets one WLAN interface. The other WLAN must be added after Quick Set.

Either way there is no single Quick Set that is fully satisfying your requirements. You can alter Quick Sets to be what you want, but never go back to Quick Set if any change is made. Quickset only functions on an unaltered factory default.

I think what you want is a hAP ac Lite, with eth and WLAN being all one and the same LAN network, where the LHG is the main gateway (as router, DHCP server, DNS forwarder)
A fast test could be to stop the DHCP server on the hAP ac Lite, and connect eth2 (any but not eth1) to the LHG. Clients on eth3-5 and WLAN will function, hAP ac Lite is connectable via Winbox MAC Neighbors until an IP address is set on the bridge.

ceitho207
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hap ac lite

Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:23 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I will get on it tomorrow - here is hoping for a quieter night in the lambing shed and a clear head to sort this out!!