Community discussions

MikroTik App

VCPJulle
just joined
Topic Author

Forgot username and password for CSS326

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi Forum
I've been the happy user of a CSS326-24G-2S+RM for some time. Now when I try and login to manage the switch, it tells me wrong password.
It seems I've forgotten the username or password.
I've tried and follow other posts and guides to reset to factory default.
But nothing that is noted in the guides works. No matter what I do and how long or short i keep the reset switch pressed, it boots to the configuration and IP that I originaly set.
It seems, when i press the reset button, the switch boots very quickly and does not go to default 192.168.88.1 and admin user.

What can be done to reset the switch completely?
Should I go the Netinstaller way and upload a new firmware to the device?
If so, where do I get the correct firmware?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Forgot username and password for CSS326

Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:30 am

Right out of the manual - if you have bothered to look for it:
It is possible to reset SwOS configuration using the "Reset Configuration" button in the System menu. In case SwOS web management in not available, the configuration can still be reset using other options.

The CSS326-24G-2S+ device has built-in backup SwOS firmware which can be loaded in case standard firmware breaks or upgrade fails:

Holding Reset button for few seconds while CSS326-24G-2S+ is booting resets configuration and loads backup firmware.
After loading backup firmware, it is possible to connect to 192.168.88.1 (or leased address from a DHCP server) using web browser and install new SwOS firmware.

neticted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Forgot username and password for CSS326

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 pm

It seems, when i press the reset button, the switch boots very quickly and does not go to default 192.168.88.1 and admin user.
Have you tried to turn device off, press reset button and then turn it on while keeping reset button depressed?