Community discussions

MikroTik App

alexcrow
just joined
Topic Author

L3HW with VRRP and MLAG

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:27 pm

Hi all,

I've just deployed a setup with multiple CRS504s and 317s, and although I was disappointed to discover that enabling MLAG on a stack ruled out L3HW there, I decided to move my routing to single 504's and I set up VRRP with L3HW still enabled - not having noticed the red "N/A" in the docs. It seemed to work fine until we deployed to production (yes, I know, I should have read more carefully).

It strikes me as an oversight that powerful L3 capable switch platforms can't do hardware offload with VRRP - I understand the CCR products are more oriented towards that goal, but I was optimistic I could do it when I set it all up in a lab environment. So I've removed VRRP, dropped back to the stateless switch rules (IP FW L3 offload still didn't work well, connections were <3000 but lots of dropped packets) and our static inter-vlan routing is now stable.

The old and admittedly very poorly featured and unreliable Netgear M4300s we replaced were stackable and inter-vlan routing would fail over when they were young - all went to hell as soon as they hit 5yo. If we could get L3HW with VRRP, and even better with that and MLAG, it would be a huge value increase.