Community discussions

MikroTik App

S8T8
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Remote logging solution?

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:53 pm

Hello, I'm "managing" 3 MT devices (home, office, parents), looking for an advice for easy solution to check logs.
Actually, I have set-up email forwarding for most relevant topics, working great, it's only a little bit of a mess with the personal email.
An alternative could be still using email notifications for important things and forwarding the others to Telegram / Signal with a script or rent a VPS and installing something like Graylog.

Any advice to share?
Thanks

piotrchm93
just joined

Re: Remote logging solution?

Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi.
Maybe The Dude will be solution for you ?

https://mikrotik.com/thedude

You can run it on VM. Clients, can be connected via VPN for monitoring.

Regards

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 am

Telegram works............ also if all have public pingable IP addresses, one can check on the other sites..........

S8T8
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:42 pm

@piotrchm93 thanks, never spent time learning The Dude, don't know if this is the right tool, an always-on VPN for small devices could be resource intensive but will try to understand more how it works.
@anav, I was looking into Telegram, Signal and Element (Matrix) scripts, probably are the best way to go. Those apps will use the phone memory to archive the logs?
Forwarding logs to a VM with software like Graylog seems to be straightforward to configure on the router but have some concerns about security and how easy is to set-up, on the other way I'm searching for an easy script (the ones from eworm are very complicated) :)