Community discussions

MikroTik App

Plugpulled
just joined
Topic Author

How to connect two Routers A & B where B gets internet access from A

Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:56 pm

Hi,

Apologies. I'm a newbie to RouterOS. I have RB4011(wifi model) which i bought during its launch. I configured it using quick setup and got it working with Wifi and also with DnsOverHttps(which i did manually). I recently purchased two Mikrotik hap ax3 which i need to setup as a mesh. But really as first step i want to connect hap ax3 to RB4011(which has internet via ether1).

RouterA -> RB4011 - will use for connecting some old devices or IOT devices.
RouterB -> first hap ax3. - will be my primary wifi AP for phone, laptop etc
RouterC -> second hap ax3 - will be my primary wifi AP for phone, laptop etc

Firstly, i would like RouterB to get internet access from RouterA. I have connected RouterB via ether1 to RouterA's ether10(PoE) port. I don't know where do i even begin for setup but currently there is no internet access when i connect wirelessly to RouterB.

Secondly, i would also want connect the RouterC to RouterB making it as a mesh. If that is even possible :D

Thanks

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to connect two Routers A & B where B gets internet access from A  [SOLVED]

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:28 pm

You can link the devices by ensuring that they are on the same ethernet bridge

I would do this:

1. Disable DHCP on Router B and C.

2. Ensure for Router A, you have ether10 on the LAN BRIDGE.
With default configuration, ether10 will already be on the bridge with a RB4011.

3. Ensure for Router B and C, you have ether1 on the LAN BRIDGE.
With default configuration, ether1 is usually a WAN port. This is why your wireless isn't working when you connect to these routers that you tried to link to the other router via ether1.

You may need to edit the interface list, to remove ether1 from WAN and make it LAN.

It may be easier to just Reset configuration without the recommended default config, on routers B & C. Then you can set up the bridges and anything you want yourself from a clean slate, rather than undo the default configuration

That should be enough to get things going really

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to connect two Routers A & B where B gets internet access from A

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:52 pm

Disagree, you should make ZERO changes until you have a well thought out plan evidenced by a fleshed out diagram that you can show.
Your concern or emphasis is wrongly placed on the config at the moment.
What you need to do is the use case exercise......
a. identify users/devices, groups of users/devices including the admin
b. identify what traffic they all should have and not have.

Then a plan and diagram can be put together
Then a config will fall out naturally.

For example you will probably have more than one wiif network. A trusted one for family. One for guests.
Perhaps one for iOT device, one for media devices. In most cases you do not want a trusted subnet mixed in withe untrusted devices which includes most of them.

The general concept is you use the RB4011 to create all the necessary vlans ( and dhcps), and then stick them on one bridge.
One of the decisions you need to make is which is your trusted subnet (if you have one where users dont screw around ) then use that otherwise make a management vlan.
All the smart devices, smart switches, smart APs will get their IP on this subnet.

In terms of the AX3s, if they are going to be AP/switches the only vlan that needs to be identifed as a vlan is the trusted or management vlan.
The IP that the AX3 gets is one from that vlan usually set statically/fixed.

So, my advice is to thing about the above and come back with a diagram detailing ports/wlans/vlans etc............
Often helpful to understand what kind of ISP connectivity is happening as part of the diagram

Plugpulled
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 pm

I would do this:

With default configuration, ether10 will already be on the bridge with a RB4011.

With default configuration, ether1 is usually a WAN port. This is why your wireless isn't working when you connect to these routers that you tried to link to the other router via ether1.

You may need to edit the interface list, to remove ether1 from WAN and make it LAN.

It may be easier to just Reset configuration without the recommended default config, on routers B & C. Then you can set up the bridges and anything you want yourself from a clean slate, rather than undo the default configuration

Thanks. I'll try this and report back.

Plugpulled
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:59 pm

Disagree, you should make ZERO changes until you have a well thought out plan evidenced by a fleshed out diagram that you can show.
Your concern or emphasis is wrongly placed on the config at the moment.
What you need to do is the use case exercise......
a. identify users/devices, groups of users/devices including the admin
b. identify what traffic they all should have and not have.

Then a plan and diagram can be put together
Then a config will fall out naturally.

For example you will probably have more than one wiif network. A trusted one for family. One for guests.
Perhaps one for iOT device, one for media devices. In most cases you do not want a trusted subnet mixed in withe untrusted devices which includes most of them.

The general concept is you use the RB4011 to create all the necessary vlans ( and dhcps), and then stick them on one bridge.
One of the decisions you need to make is which is your trusted subnet (if you have one where users dont screw around ) then use that otherwise make a management vlan.
All the smart devices, smart switches, smart APs will get their IP on this subnet.

In terms of the AX3s, if they are going to be AP/switches the only vlan that needs to be identifed as a vlan is the trusted or management vlan.
The IP that the AX3 gets is one from that vlan usually set statically/fixed.

So, my advice is to thing about the above and come back with a diagram detailing ports/wlans/vlans etc............
Often helpful to understand what kind of ISP connectivity is happening as part of the diagram
Okay. I'll come with a block diagram.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:02 pm

With a full set of requirements and context, we dont chase single issues for ever and ever (whackamole).
Many parts of a config are related and thus one should design the parts with the whole in mind!!

Plugpulled
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:00 pm

I would do this:

This worked wonderfully well. Thank you so much! I installed wifiwave2 package in 4011 but seems like CAPSman isn't available yet as 7.7. So i ended up removing it making 2.4ghz work again and the hap ax3 i configured Wifi manually. The only downside i have to use winbox and connect to the hap ax3 to configure. Can't use directly access the web ui anymore if i need to change something on the fly.