Community discussions

MikroTik App

Adrenaline1965
just joined
Topic Author

cAP ac with multiple SSID and dedicated VLAN per SSID but W/O CAPsMAN

Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I've been searching the Internet (and this forum) for a simple configuration of some Mikrotik cAP ac WiFi Access Points with following specifications:
  • Multiple SSIDs, such that I can offer WiFi services to different user groups
    Each SSID linked with its dedicated VLAN such that I can control which user group has access to what in my network <= e.g.:
    • Guests only have access to the Internet (nothing else)
    • My family members have access to the NAS to store their documents and access Family Pictures and Movies
    • I have access to everything, including the network hardware (switches, router, APs...)
    As I only have half a dozen of APs in my house I don't really need the CAPsMAN functionality. It's more complicated to setup and also slows things down. I basically copy the config of the first AP to the others and modify some details (such as the Management IP address and maybe disable the Guest SSID for APs located where Guest normally don't come
I was unable to find something suitable (maybe didn't look hard enough?) so I figured it out myself <= setting up VLANs on these cAP ac devices is somewhat different from routers and switches...

Anyway, I though I'd share what I managed to get together with the community here <= for my needs/requirements this works just as I wanted it
Attached you can find the export file. Install it on your cAP ac and modify as per your preferences/requirements <= I'm quite sure you'll want to change the SSID names and VLAN numbers to match your personal environment.

Of course, you'll have to configure matching VLANs and FW rules on your switch(es) and router! <= there's plenty of info/posts to help you with that though...

If you have any questions and/or suggestions for improvement please don't hesitate to post it here.

Hope you like it.

Have Fun!

Greetz,

Bruno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Adrenaline1965 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cAP ac with multiple SSID and dedicated VLAN per SSID but W/O CAPsMAN

Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:07 pm

See Para D on this link, covers the topic, the EXAMPLE SETUP should be followed.
viewtopic.php?t=182373