Community discussions

MikroTik App

ignoranceisbliss
just joined
Topic Author

issue 1

Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:46 am

Researched available documentation for days, one in wiki one one in help. Unclear and confusing.

unit: chateau 18LE
upgraded 7.7 firmware
unit used wired

RANT FIRST, QUESTIONS LATER.
I am at the point to trash this unit since I cannot use it. Contacted mikrotik consultants and, besides some not wanting to do the job since they do not return emails, they charge 10 hours in advance for a 2750 USD to configure this unit to go online. The unit gives all sorts of errors when trying to use QuickSet HomeAP and configure from there. For starters, router becomes inaccessible including in Winbox after using QuickSet HomeAP. Upgraded firmware from 7.5 (came with it) to 7.6 - HomeAp was missing in QuickSet. Then upgraded to 7.7, homeAp came back but still the unit becomes inaccessible after attempt to configure HomeAP.
It would not even accept a new subnet instead of 192.168.88.1 without becoming inaccessible.

mikrotik customer support is horrible, cannot get any further and they are patronizing for e.g., suggesting to use phone app (wireless) instead of wired - to add an additional variable that cannot be controlled. They do not provide any link to any competent guie. help.wiki... has ridiculous errors in their ROS documentation.

bought new unit, cannot get it online

1. in Terminal, multiple features do not work?
for e.g., interface ethernet
edit
typed interface # 0, then at value-name (ether1) Script error: action cancelled

same with get or set, after entering number (0), script exits no error

What gives?

2. for the love of God, please provide a competent guide to get this unit online.
Managed to get an IP from the ISP by being creative with the slave ether1 but it all ends there
Got to a point where I could ping a host but I could not get it online (could not resolve host). Created NAT rule with scrnat masquerade and out interface as ether1, but I get all kinds of errors including

in/out-interface matcher not possible when interface (ether1) is slave - use master instead (bridge).

This error is not documented anywhere.

3. Routes are added automatically to the list. Cannot configure a default route to the gateway. Documentation mentions something like dest 0.0.0.0/0 and then the subnet IP. That did not solve anything.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to avoid a charge back to mikrotik for product not working.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: issue 1

Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:04 pm

Because you keep smashing buttons not knowing what you are doing.
Mikrotik is not a consumer router.

Word of advice, only use quickset to set the mode and never touch it afterwards.
Learn about the MT RoS slowly.......
Start with M1, for example..........
viewtopic.php?t=182373

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:15 pm

I like the member name within this context :lol:

In all seriousness: Mikrotik is, as anav already mentioned, not really consumer material.
It has a very steep learning curve (and you may interpret that as VERY STEEP) but once you get it, the possibilities are almost endless.

Start step by step (pretty good material from anav BTW)
Take step by step.
First access the router.
Then learn how to connect it to internet.
Then learn how to enable the use of ethernet ports with your own IP subnet.
Next ... etc etc.

How did you ever get into buying this unit ? And why use it wired ?? Why LTE then ?
Looks like some homework was not done upfront ...

PS it is not helpful to anyone including yourself to post the same issue in multiple posts.

ignoranceisbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:51 pm

Thank you to Anav for the patronizing message.

mikrotik needs to put together a better documentation. I am not stupid, and you are not a genius, is a simple lack of documenting functions or poorly documenting functions.

AND, a commercial router does NOT

- come in plastic casing
- has better design, for example sockets are to close to case edge making it difficult to unplug the cables.

And I got this "commercial" router tamed. I got it to work on the internet. Not thanks to senior members like you who take a complaint as personal.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:55 pm

Sorry you cant handle the truth, I did point you in the direction to start reading.
Same as everyone else had or has to do..............
If you dont know basic networking like I didnt, it takes more work.
Be organized, have a plan, and know all the requirements (what users need to be able to do)
and that will help. This is not spoon feeding, so when you show some effort by
providing a network diagram ( aka a plan) and the config you have so far
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial number and any public WANIP information)
then one is apt to be more successful in getting help.

A good start is to look at the default firewall rules that come on the router and try to understand what each rule is doing.
Last edited by anav on Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ignoranceisbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:56 pm

Thank you Anav for your link.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 pm

Maybe time for the reset button. You may come around on the device, but initial setup isn't as easy. Pretty new devices too, and take a few/many months to stabilize things.

What may be going on is the default configuration may have changed between the original version and the upgraded 7.7. When you upgrade, any NEW/CHANGED defaults aren't applied, your original before upgrade remains. In nearly all cases, you want this. But if the defaults were wrong in the older version... you'd still be using them in 7.7.

I was going to say you should do a:
/system/reset-configuration keep-user=yes 
from Winbox and clicking Terminal on left.

If that doesn't work, you need to hit the reset button WHILE powering up the unit for 7-9 seconds. The limited guide it comes with does explain this part. But the above command does same.

For the LTE devices, Mikrotik's mobile apps can also setup the device from the default configuration by connecting the "Mikrotik XXXXX" wi-fi that should come up after reset. The app will show signal strengths and stuff - so useful if your going to use this with LTE.

Did you use the mobile app or the webpage (webfig0 or winbox to do the initial setup?
What are you using for the WAN/internet, LTE or fiber/cable/wisp or BOTH?

ignoranceisbliss
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:42 pm

Thank you for your reply and your help.
I totally agree about the configuration being a learning process. This is not the first mikrotik router we configured, it was the worst however (firmware update would result in missing profiles in QuickSet, locks out after not accepting new DHCP settings).

I did reset the unit every time during its configuration and checked all settings with every restart. In effect, I created backups with every progress and then upon reset, restored these backups.

The router uses wired LAN only and internet signal from an ONT (fiber) - a regular windows computer picks up that signal and gets an IP.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:55 pm

I'm in the US so all the AX stuff isn't readily available. V7 is even more finky for configuration. Used V7 with LTE for a long time, and it take a while for Mikrotik to get new modems dialed, on top of the new wi-fi - but generally do. Once you get something working, it generally keeps working.

There were reports of the LTE modem sometime gets stuck if the carrier does the dropping on their end. Not sure how wide spread but something to watch for.

Good luck. Feel free report your progress, since good to know how these new devices work out.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:56 pm

And get the app, for READING the status/config and LTE signal its handy. Use winbox for real configuration.