Community discussions

MikroTik App

qemothy
just joined
Topic Author

configuration of hAP ac2 as a second router in home network

Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:56 am

Hi,

Im configuring MikroTik hAP ac2 to work as a second router in my home network.
The goal is to connect MT with a device or two via ethernet and potentially some via WiFi
MT oImage[/img]dem (hardware from my ISP), ether2 is the connection to my laptop.
the setup is default - screenshoot attached
MT is struggling with the DHCP client which is stucked with status "searching.." and cant get the IP address from the modem.
The DHCP server on the modem works fine.
I've also tried some quick setups with "Home AP Dual" or "PTP Bridge AP" but the problem still ramains.
I saw few posts on the forum describing similar issue but non of them solved my problem.

Is there a guide that might give some light on what I am missing? Or maybe someone faced a similar problem and know the solution ?

Thanks in advance,
Qemothy
MT_setup.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: configuration of hAP ac2 as a second router in home network

Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:42 am

So you want double nat?
or do you mean you want the first hapac to do DHCP vlans etc, and the second hapac to act as basically a switch/AP which makes far more sense to me.

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: configuration of hAP ac2 as a second router in home network

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:07 am

Router cascade in LAN-LAN should bypass NAT (LAN-WAN would have double NAT, but the second router would be isolated on its own subnet). DHCP must be disabled on the second router though and it would need its own IP to work (192.168.88.2). I'd have to test this on MikroTik to be sure. Too late tonight...

Edit: Had time tonight, so I tested a spare hAP ac2 in LAN-LAN cascade configuration. I connected the second router (hAP ac2) to a computer via LAN and set its IP address to 192.168.88.2 (main router is on 192.168.88.1). I then disabled the DHCP server on router 2 and proceeded to connect both routers via LAN (ether2-ether2). Internet connection resumed as expected. This is the simplest setup, with wireless functional and the extra ports to connect devices on one large network - so it extends wireless coverage as well. LAN-WAN has security advantages, but it will be a double NAT situation without extra work to just use the switch.