Community discussions

MikroTik App

arrbee
just joined
Topic Author

unable to connect to running router

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:45 pm

I'm very new to Mikrotik products. I know there will be much to learn and configure, but my 1st hurdle is gaining access to the router!!

I've a LHG-LTE18 providing a (mostly) default config back to a Unifi router then on to a couple of switches.
The only config that I changed on the LHG was the IP address and DHCP range and possibly the DNS server(s). ( didn't like the default .188 subnet so I changed it to .4)
At this time, the LHG is providing internet to the network

Public IP
[LHG] using a PoE injector
I
I
DHCP assigned .253
[Unifi router]
192.168.0.254/24
I
I
PoE switch (feeds WAPs)
I
I
main switch (+ patch panel)

When I did the config for the LHG I had it directly connected to patch port for my PC thus directly connecting PC and LHG.
I was able to get an IP from the LHG and connect either via web browser to default IP, or via MAC in winbox/neighbours
After I changed the IP I was still able to connect via MAC (can't remember about IP).
But, after moving the LHG patch cable to the routers WAN port. I could no longer connect.
To understand the issue more I tried:
- connecting the LHG into the same switch as the PC. (NOK)
- moving both PC and LHG to the other switch. (NOK)
- making sure I can ping the private IP of the LHG (192.168.4.1) (OK)
- directly connecting the LHG back to the PC patch port. (NOK)
- ssh/telnet to the LHG IP (NOK)

Considering the LHG is up a pole on the side of the house, having to reset the thing is a bit of a hassle but so far this is the only time I've had access.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?
I want to move on to making sure it's aimed correctly and locked to cells and bands with the best carrier aggregation etc etc, before I try and configure it in passthrough mode.
I can't make a start on any of that if I can't reliably connect!

Thanks in advance.
RB

arrbee
just joined
Topic Author

Re: unable to connect to running router

Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:26 pm

Well I've made a bit of progress today, trying a few things.

1. after confirming that I still couldn't connect via MAC or IP (but could ping the IP) I went for another rest (up the ladder)
I also isolated the Unifi USG router from the switches.
2. I was able to update the IP and DHCP range again and it stayed possible to access when moved to a switch port. provided my PC was on the same subnet.
3. reconnecting the USG I was still able to access the LHG, until I moved it to the WAN port of the USG.
4. I added a route on the USG for the LHG private address to be "out the WAN" and that allows IP connectivity from inside the network.

As I did a full reset there was a different config to how it comes from the factory. I'll try and go through the initial setup guides to make sure I've all the important bits configured before I ask to many more questions.
One thing that would be good to know up front though....
Is there a way to access via MAC (using winbox) when there is another router in the middle?

Cheers,
RB

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 pm

I have enough trouble connecting to a stationary router............

jakubm
just joined

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:03 pm

Hey @arrbee - were you able to figure out what's going on there?
I'm facing very similar issue - after resetting the LHG (up the ladder, plug eth out, plug in with pushed rst button) I'm able to connect. Today I logged in, and then I could not log back in - responds to ping, routes traffic but no way of connecting via webfig and all the ports seem to be filtered apart from DHCP.

TIA!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:25 pm

When you get access again, activate Romon.
You'll be able to connect from another Tik with Romon even if the complete network setup is toast.

arrbee
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm

Hey @arrbee - were you able to figure out what's going on there?
I'm facing very similar issue - after resetting the LHG (up the ladder, plug eth out, plug in with pushed rst button) I'm able to connect. Today I logged in, and then I could not log back in - responds to ping, routes traffic but no way of connecting via webfig and all the ports seem to be filtered apart from DHCP.

TIA!

Sorry for not seeing this earlier...
Do you still need help or are you sorted?

I have mine working and can access via IP only (not MAC) using either winbox or http.
I only have a rough understanding of what I did. but possibly enough help if you are stuck?
Let me know....

arrbee
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:03 pm

When you get access again, activate Romon.
You'll be able to connect from another Tik with Romon even if the complete network setup is toast.
Sounds handy if you have other mikrotik devices!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:44 pm

What is your max speed?
If you not have sufficent speed, how you can reach the running router, if the router run at faster speed than you?

arrbee
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:07 pm

What is your max speed?
If you not have sufficent speed, how you can reach the running router, if the router run at faster speed than you?
Maybe it is running backward? :P

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:13 pm

sorry... a little good humor to temper... ;)

JeffCS
just joined

Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 pm

I've got a LHG LTE6 running RouterOS 7.8 and it sounds like I have a similar issue. Router is running, Internet connectivity good, but I can't access it at all despite the fact that it pings. Keep resetting it and I get back in. But after a while it doesn't respond to management via web, Winbox or SSH. Might try Rmon and see if that works as has been suggested.