Community discussions

MikroTik App

alessiov10
just joined
Topic Author

LHGG with EM160R-GL, would it make sense to add secondary antennas?

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm

Hello everybody,

I have an LHGG on which I installed a Quectel EM160R-GL as modem.
Now, I'm running it in 2x2 MIMO, with only the default MikroTik antennas pair. Would it make sense to add another high gain (10~12dBi) antenna as secondary pair? Would I get any significant signal improvement?

The BTS to which I'm connected to is about 5kilometers far from me and I don't really have anything "huge" that covers my visual to it.

alessiov10
just joined
Topic Author

Re: LHGG with EM160R-GL, would it make sense to add secondary antennas?

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:06 am

anyone?

Ca6ko

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am

If the cellular base station supports appropriate aggregation, then it is worth experimenting, if not, there is no point.
To assemble your own antenna system from multiple antennas requires special knowledge in antenna construction.

alessiov10
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:18 am

If the cellular base station supports appropriate aggregation, then it is worth experimenting, if not, there is no point.
To assemble your own antenna system from multiple antennas requires special knowledge in antenna construction.
I'm not going to assemble my own antenna, I do not have the knowledge required to!
I'd just buy an LPDA antenna for LTE frequencies and and SMA to ufl cable, and connect it to the secondary antennas pins of the EM160R-GL. But before doing that I'd like to know if that'd make any sense at all, since as of now I'm only using the default 2x2 MIMO antennas from the LHGG

Ca6ko

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 am

What you are describing is called "to assemble your antenna system from two ready-made antennas".
The answer to your question lies in the properties of the specific cellular base station.

alessiov10
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:27 pm

What you are describing is called "to assemble your antenna system from two ready-made antennas".
Oh, ok!
The answer to your question lies in the properties of the specific cellular base station.
So there is not really a way to know if the result might be worth it or not without actually trying, right?
Anyway the base station is pretty new (it was updated recently) and with just the LHGG itself the signal is good (except for SNR) so I guess I should be getting something better from it