MikroTik App

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wireguard VPN with failover ?

Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 am

Hi

I plan to use an RB760iGS hEX S to give streaming boxes VPN access at Internet (they need to appear to be in a different country than real one ;)
I plan to use ProtonVPN system for it in Wireguard configuration (https://protonvpn.com/support/wireguard ... k-routers/) but after reading documentation of ProtonVPN and Mikrotik one about Wireguard I'm not sure if it's possible and how to setup multiple VPN servers so if one fails or becomes unavalaible the router will try an other one till one is working !
Is it possible and if so how ?

Thanks

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireguard VPN with failover ?

Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:03 pm

Netwatch the server as a first step.

If traffic passes through it, would be another question.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm

Not sure how you would do failover as this is not a WAN issue.......... but a wireguard switching issue..........which sounds more like heavy scripting ???
You need to really detaiil the requirement much more fully.
Is this one media box, and you dont care which country but any country/ISP other than your own OR
Do you have netflix accounts in several countries
OR...
In other words, the more detail provided so an understanding can be gleaned will lead to better assistance. Too vague for now.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:09 pm

anav,

There is the whole "plausible deniability"... I don't want to know enough that I would have to testify...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:37 pm

Okay the OP should decribe it as.

Service 1A
Service 1B
Service 1C

to describe three diff instances of some companies service ( assuming he is paying for all three so whats the fuss ;-P )

OR
Media1
Media2
Media3

to describe three different boxes, could be nvidiashield and two diff appleTV for all I care. We are just connecting the boxes to the net, no harm no foul LOL.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:55 pm

Hey guys

Really sorry for late answer but have been overbusy with work :( So the problem is that one (as some are going into crazy things....):

the idea is to use ProtonVPN service to go around geographical restrictions for stream services like Apple+/Amazon.....

I understand it's not easy to get router to switch automatically at a different VPN server if the one in use is going down so for now I'll try to get it working with only one VPN server.

I have tried the tutorial of Proton to setup it but it doesn't work (https://protonvpn.com/support/vpn-mikrotik-router/). When I implement the last steps for the kill switch I loose all accesses at router and it's not working as VPN. As I'm trying that on an hAP ac Lite, may it be a problem of the router having not enough hardware power to handle OpenVPN properly ?

Thanks for your help, advices,

Vincèn

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:37 pm

This guy uses express vpn because it gives him a block of five choices (with their vpn router option) one can easily choose on the fly for country.
HOwever its openvpn only.................

Read on from this link to see how he accomplishes this...
viewtopic.php?p=992763#p992217

The wireguard is a distraction as its just to get remote access into his network and has nothing to do with his setup.
What he does is have two standard ISPs, they are only there to provide access for his open VPN (wrt router) connection.
He then uses another port on this openwrt router to act a a third wan connection for the MT router.
All his MT users then use the WRT VPN connection for internet and then they can use the various 5 country options for where they want to get their internet connection.

Not sure if that is what you want or not............. but sounds like it.