Community discussions

MikroTik App

lel
just joined
Topic Author

Spanning Tree Documentation - MSTP Example - Confusion

Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 pm

Dear all,

before configuring a MSTP setup, I wanted to completely understand the MSTP example given in the Mikrotik Documentation here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... STPexample.

However, I couldn't go through it without uncertainties: (See below for the diagram I'm learning on.)

mst-override interface ether3
I'm confused by the configuration on R1_3, R2_3, R3_3:
/interface bridge port mst-override
add identifier=1 interface=ether2 internal-path-cost=5
add identifier=1 interface=ether3 internal-path-cost=9
Why is it ether3, and not ether1? ether3 is connected to a different region. I changed it to ether1 in my notes and continued.

Interface picking for VLAN groups
The documentation further states:

In this case for VLAN 10,20 to reach the third device from the first device, it would choose between ether1 and ether2, one port will be blocked and set as an alternate port, ether1 will have path cost as 5+9=14 and ether2 will have path cost as 10, ether2 will be elected as the root port for MSTI1 on the third device.

1. "ether1 will have path cost as 5+9=14" - Is this derived from the
    mst-override
    for
    identifier=1
    configured on Rx_2 and Rx_3?
  2. If so, why will ether2 have path cost as 10 while ether2 on Rx_3 has a non-default configured path cost of 5? In either case, ether2 would be selected as root port, because for both cases path cost of 14 is higher.

Minor ambigous wording
We can either increase the port path cost or either decrease the port path cost to ports that are facing towards the regional root bridge.

If someone could help me understand this correctly, this would be awesome! Thanks :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lel
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Spanning Tree Documentation - MSTP Example - Confusion

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:33 pm

bump - anyone has an idea what's wrong there?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Spanning Tree Documentation - MSTP Example - Confusion

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm

i think is better to start with a smaller topology (3 switches) to understand basic MSTP behavior

then

aditional switches to divide the lab in 2 regions and understand that specific aditional topic

i personally only have deployed small single region setups