Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cytoplast2281
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie with access port configuration

Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:42 am

I am a newbie with RouterOS, and I'm facing an issue with disabling RSTP on a certain port.
I have a CRS312-4C+8XG running RouterOS 7.7 . According to the official documentation, I need to specify a port as "edge: yes" to exclude this port from RSTP learning and listening.
However, when I see the role from Bridge->Ports in Winbox, I can see the port is still as Designated Port. Disabling and re-enabling don't help. Rebooting RouterOS remains same. I also tested with 6.49.7, and the same issue occurs.
I could disable RSTP completely on a port on SwOS, so I thought edge setting is equivalent to it. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Newbie with access port configuration

Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:36 am

My understanding is as follows: bridge port in ROS has certain set of properties and those properties will be set always (this way or another). Then it comes to the point whether some of properties actually make sense in certain condition or not. When bridge has any protocol-mode set (other than none), then port has a role in it. If you set "edge=yes" (default setting being auto), you only disable edge-port-discovery and force port state into edge=yes (these are taken from port state as opposed to port configuration, property names change which doesn't really help), but port is still member of bridge and has some role in it.

I don't know if setting bridge port to edge=yes actually stops sending BPDU frames through it and stops receiving and processing these frames through same port.

I'm not sure wgat SwOS does when xSTP is disabled on a port, but I'm guessing something similar. Then it boils down to state presentation (where winbox for ROS keeps being pretty generic and one has to interpret shown data in correct way).

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:43 pm

I don't know if setting bridge port to edge=yes actually stops sending BPDU frames through it and stops receiving and processing these frames through same port.
It does on the more recent versions of RouterOS 6, previously you had to resort to bridge filters or switch ACLs if hardware offloaded. I haven't tried it on RouterOS 7 to see if that has broken this functionality.

Cytoplast2281
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:39 am

It does on the more recent versions of RouterOS 6, previously you had to resort to bridge filters or switch ACLs if hardware offloaded. I haven't tried it on RouterOS 7 to see if that has broken this functionality.
Actually I also tested with 6.49.7, the latest version of RouterOS 6. And I can still reproduce this issue. I also tried to re-enable ports or reboot the switch. But it doesn't help. Do you have any idea why?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:22 am

As I said: it's cosmetics. xSTP is actually function of bridge and if a port is member of bridge, it's not possible to "disable xSTP" on that port only. It is, however, possible to set that port as edge and in this case (bugs aside) that port should not participate in any of xSTP communication. Which some people might tag as "xSTP disabled".