Community discussions

MikroTik App

jamesw
Topic Author

CHR license - system-id, UUID/MBR questions

Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:29 pm

I have a question about how the CHR system id (for licensing purposes) is *really* generated/checked.

We purchased over 400 CHR P1 perpetual licenses a few years ago that are used on either VirtualBox/Linux KVM hosts.

They have been working fine until it comes to upgrade time... i.e. each reboot the system ID is the same and the license just "works".

After booting the original image, drag-and-dropping the RouterOS upgrade file to the Files via Winbox and rebooting, again all good, but sometimes, even though the system id is the same, it throws an error stating the system id has already previously used a trial or that there is something wrong with the system id.

Nothing has changed with the disk image, nor the system/hardware UUID id the VirtualBox or KVM xml file, so what could cause this?

Is there a definite answer over how CHR figures out what the system ID and the checks it performs to ensure the license is really valid?

With the amount we've spent on licensing we expect it to just work, and not have to keep worrying about system ID's.

The manual states: CHR system-id is bound to MBR and UUID - but what exactly does it mean? What is it checking on the MBR and UUID (disk UUID or hardware ID etc). Would resizing the disk image of an existing machine generate a new system ID?

Thanks

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CHR license - system-id, UUID/MBR questions

Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:07 am

Would resizing the disk image of an existing machine generate a new system ID?
Exactly.

But adding another disk, keeping the original untouched in place, do not change system ID.

jamesw
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:45 am

Would resizing the disk image of an existing machine generate a new system ID?
Exactly.

But adding another disk, keeping the original untouched in place, do not change system ID.
I this because the MBR will have changed, or that it somehow thinks its a new system/hardware ID?

Why should resizing a disk for a CHR cause it to not be able to use a perpetual license anymore... that's such an inconvenience when you've purchased genuine licenses for the "system", not the size of the disk.

By adding another disk, how can the Mikrotik utilise it? My original disk image was 64MB, is that still okay for CHR? (it still shows 28MB is free in RouterOS). I was trying to resize to 128MB.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:04 am

I this because the MBR will have changed, or that it somehow thinks its a new system/hardware ID?
Both.
Why should resizing a disk for a CHR cause it to not be able to use a perpetual license anymore...
Is the same question with other words, same reply.
that's such an inconvenience when you've purchased genuine licenses for the "system", not the size of the disk.
Since you can resize disk on RouterOS before licensing, why create or keep so litte space?

You can MOVE the licence from a working image to another.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... RLicensing
Perpetual is a lifetime license (buy once, use forever). It is possible to transfer a perpetual license to another CHR instance.
But you must do that before resize the original and ruin the licence.

By adding another disk, how can the Mikrotik utilise it? My original disk image was 64MB, is that still okay for CHR? (it still shows 28MB is free in RouterOS). I was trying to resize to 128MB.
Why you want to add space? 28MB free suffice for all if you do not have extra services.
Add another virtual disk and utilize it for services that use disk like user-manager† the dude, hotspot, etc.

For most detail contact support@mikrotik.com
Probably For sure help you better than the User's forum.
Last edited by rextended on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesw
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:10 am

Both.
How can resizing a disk create a new system ID? The UUID of the system/hardware and the UUID of the virtual disk does not change with a resize, so how does the Mikrotik know any different?

Perpetual is a lifetime license (buy once, use forever). It is possible to transfer a perpetual license to another CHR instance.
How can one do this?

Thanks

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 am

I have added some details on previous post, I do not provide any details on internal RouterOS procedures.
I do not know one VM platform that do not change automatically the UUID if disk is copied or resized...

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:14 am

@jamesw, backup and restore UUID or use an another resize/partition tool:
StackExchange: Does the GUID or UUID of a partition change on resizing the partitions?

EDIT:
IMO there should be a clear warning about this potential problem in the CHR/licencing docs..

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 am

But why is this a problem? Even if your SystemID gets changed for any reason, the thing about CHR is that you can just re-assign the license to the new SystemID from your acocunt. License will not be lost.

jamesw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:50 am

When you have to upgrade 300 CHR's and have to manually re-license each one, it's a problem :)

Also, the system-id is staying the same (because we are hardcoding the UUID in the virtual machine XML config before it boots) , it's just saying that the system id can't be licensed.