Community discussions

MikroTik App

AussieWarrior
just joined
Topic Author

TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless PCIe card not detected

Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:55 am

Hi there, I have just installed a TP-Link TL-WN881ND V2 Wireless PCIe card into my x86 PC (Foxconn MCP73M02H1) based V6.49.7 (stable) router and the RouterOS is not detecting it. Current operating ethernet ports are: the embedded motherboard port, a PCI board and a PCIe board. The TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless PCIe card is on the "old" Mikrotik Supported Hardware list: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... t_chipsets but the x86 PC is not! So I am on unsteady ground here but I am hoping there is a way to load a driver for this Wireless PCIe card! Any ideas from you people? I have attached screenshots below:
RouterOS PC.png
MB with card not loaded.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless PCIe card not detected

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am

At least the link is:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... less_cards
and inside is reported:
Warning: Page no longer maintained. Please use the new Peripherals page for supported devices

Warning: This manual is moved to https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals

Where you "see" your model? Is not present.

The product is unsupported, and manufacturer for same name have some revision, your is V2,
and on the old page is implicit about "V1"
(the v1 usually do not have version, because the manufacturer do not know if on the future do another version with same name...)
and on each revision is not present the same chip (and on tplink often is a complete different product, just "recycle" the name...).

Soluction: Buy a MikroTik card, or check first on UPDATED page if are supported before buy another competitor device.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:37 pm

For wireless in ROS, only Atheros/Qualcomm hardware is supported. No Realtek or any other vendor will work. It's that simple.
As for actual chipsets and radios that are supported, you can usually assume that if there is official Mikrotik product with some ARxxx or QCAxxxx chip then non-Mikrotik card with same radio chipset will work as well, but you are on your own and nothing is guaranteed to work.

TP-Link TL-WN881ND is just 802.11n dual chain radio, equivalent hardware that would work would be AR92xx based R52Hn, you can get it cheap used + Mini-PCIe to PCIe adapter (also very cheap).

AussieWarrior
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:09 am

Thanks to all. This is just my test setup that I have been using in my lab and wifi card was laying around. Will try and get correct wifi card to play with. Cheers.