Community discussions

MikroTik App

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB5009 FTTH

Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Disclaimer: I know not much, so I might say things which are not correct.

I am using Mikrotik since the times of RB450, tbh I did not know what I was buying and took me forever to get internet home.

Times change, so the equipment, so I am now recent user of an RB5009. Except that my internet supplier remained in the stone age, but another one might come this year, with fiber, 1Gbps/1Gbps. Looking forward for it.

As RB5009 is advertised as a perfect for now home lab router, and looking to its ports, one would conclude this: ISP to SFP+ port, then the 2.5G port to another switch or whatever distribution further and the remaining 1G ports to other devices.

Now comes the difficult part, I read about using my own ONT, which might be GPON or XGSPON, I don't know yet, or a media converter. I am not sure I get this right, if I get a BiDi module in RB5009, can this been seen as a media converter? My guts tells me this won't work. Then a GPON SFP+ module, Mikrotik does not sell one, when they did, it could not be configure I understood, unless done by ISP, which tbh they don't even bother. Then I see recently stories, videos, about GPON modules for which you can clone the ISP GPON delivered equipment. But then the ISP does not indicate any specific requirements about the module. Are they all equal or I have to keep an eye on the specifications of the media converter? E.g. 20 km, single mode 9/125, Tx 1310 Nm, no Rx spec?? SP?PC or SC/APC connector.

Very long story short, am I the only one wanting to shoot the fiber straight into the RB5009 with no additional equipment? And if anyone else's done it, can we make a list of which modules worked for you and also very important, which not?

ToTheCLI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RB5009 FTTH

Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 pm

I read about using my own ONT, which might be GPON or XGSPON
For GPON you might use your own GPON SFP (e.g ODI xPON SFP, Huawei MA5671A(with Openwrt firmware), etc) see this https://github.com/Anime4000/RTL960x and https://hack-gpon.github.io/
For XGSPON no such option exists your best bet is to put the ISP router in bridge mode

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: RB5009 FTTH

Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:19 pm

GPON is unfortunally what it is. It's an active intelligent component and not just a SFP transciever. In essential it's part of the providers network.

Fortunally in my country PON is very very rare. All FTTH networks here uses BiDi SFP-based and can usually be moved to whatever equipment you like.