Community discussions

MikroTik App

John991
just joined
Topic Author

Allow WAN to ping through Groove to CPE

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Hello. I am new to Mikrotik and I have a basic question.

We make some data collection equipment that is connected on a closed network. Until now, we've been using UBNT for everything. Typical deployment is one UBNT Nanostation as an AP and then several UBNT Bullets or similar setup as stations with our equipment behind them. We connect using laptops to the AP then do data collection using custom apps, mostly using UDP for comms.

Since UBNT Bullets and similar have been hard to get, we're planning to use Grooves (52HPN for now) as our station radios.

For us, simple networks are better, so here is the config script I've come up with so far:
# jan/02/1970 00:08:47 by RouterOS 6.48.6
# software id = QASX-5MLF
#
# model = Groove 52HPn r2
# serial number = HCZ0897N5RC
:delay 15s
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n disabled=no frequency=2412 \
    mode=station-pseudobridge ssid=DATA-1 wireless-protocol=\
    nv2-nstreme-802.11
/interface list
add name=WAN
add name=LAN
/interface bridge filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=68 in-interface=!wlan1 ip-protocol=udp \
    mac-protocol=ip
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=!dynamic
/interface list member
add interface=wlan1 list=WAN
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system identity
set name=DeviceRadio
/user add name=testuser password=testuserpw group=full
/user remove admin
The intent for this script is to connect to the network (DATA-1) using 2.4ghz (no password), get DHCP address for the Groove, setup a bridge between the WAN and LAN, add a user/password, remove the admin.

From the device (CPE) side, everything seems fine. However, we need to be able to talk to the device from the WAN side and we can't ping the equipment behind the Groove radio. I must be missing something pretty basic, so suggestions are appreciated.

These are private, temporary networks, so we don't need any firewall, etc. We'd prefer traffic to be completely transparent as if connected via cable. I don't think we can use WDS since we're using UBNT devices as the APs currently.

Simple network diagram...

equipment --- Groove --- (wifi) --- UBNT AP --- (wifi) --- laptop

Thanks,

John

John991
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Allow WAN to ping through Groove to CPE

Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:24 am

Found the problem. It wasn't with the script, per se...

Our data collection devices have the ethernet port set via firmware to 10 Mbps. With default auto-negotiation settings, the Groove wasn't setting itself to 10 Mbps for some reason. I hard coded the Groove LAN port to 10 Mbps using this line:
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] auto-negotiation=no speed=10Mbps
And everything is now good -- we can ping and talk through from WLAN side to the devices behind the Groove.