MikroTik App

fikkar2
just joined
Topic Author

RB5009 Bonding Active Backup SFP+ with 1G

Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:34 pm

I have RB5009UG+S+IN and CRS326-24G-2S+
Router Running ROS v7.8 and Switch running ROS v6.48.6

Currently both devices connected via SFP+ 10G port and it hardware offloaded normally.

My plan is to connect both device with Bonding interface (Active Backup) SFP+ as primary, and ether7 as backup. The idea is to achieve HA if any how the SFP+ link gets disconnected.

I have followed instruction in https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... ive-backup

When I did that, the bonding works. However, the bonding interface in my bridge ports status is not hardware offloaded.
I've tested it, and CPU % goes up every time there is any L2 traffic from Router to Switch.
My expectation is Bonding interface should be hardware offloaded, especially in normal condition (Primary interface SFP+ is online). Because in normal condition, it just like my current condition without bonding interface set up, no fancy balancing algorithm is being processes, and traffic is flowing to only single port (SFP+). Also, according to my router block diagram, SFP+ port is connected to the same switch with Ethernet port, so I assume the interface is still connected to the same chip/hardware and hardware offload is possible, right?

I have other bonding (802.3ad) on my switch (both 1G ethernet) to my dual NIC server and it's hardware offloaded as expected. So I know that bonding interface can be hw offload, at least in 802.3ad with same interface type.

My question, why bonding interface on my RB5009 not hardware offloaded? Is it because hardware offload in bonding interface using different type of interface is not supported, or something else?

I have attached some image to better explain my situation.

Please help me understand.
Thank you.

Latest UPDATE:
I've found temporary solution to achieve this (Active-Backup Link between my router to my switch) using RSTP (Enabled), no bonding configuration required.
Just plug both wire/interface and set bridge->port [SFP+ Interface] priority lower (70), Path Cost lower and bridge->port [Eth 1G Interface] priority higher (80), path cost higher. It will make Eth 1G port as alternate port. Do that config (bridge->port priority and path cost) also on the switch accordingly.
It works, both interface are hardware offloaded and link/traffic are backed up as expected.
The drawbacks is that we need to copy/mirror every Bridge->VLANs config at SFP+ interface to Eth (1G) instead of just adding VLAN config to 1 bonding interface. For example, if we have VLAN ID 100 config at SFP+, we also need to add VLAN ID 100 to Eth (1G).
I am happy for now, but I am still expecting Bonding interface (active-backup) should be Hardware Offloaded easily in RouterOS. Any explanation will help. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fikkar2
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB5009 Bonding Active Backup SFP+ with 1G

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:47 pm

Temporary solution have been found.
See my latest update.
Thank you.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB5009 Bonding Active Backup SFP+ with 1G

Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:39 pm

This document mentions that only 802.3ad bonding and balance-xor are offloaded to hardware. CRS326 is in the device class explicitly mentioned, I would expect RB5009 to fall in this category as well as it has a pretty advanced switch chip. Bond type active-backup is not HW offloaded on any of devices AFAIK.